scripting language for automated testing?

Hello, does anybody know some scripting language for automated testing of the embedded target? Intention is to have embedded target connected to Windows PC either via RS-232 or USB to be able to perform entire test suite and collect result on Win PC. I just have a problem to find something what allows me to have connectivity. I want to be able also to collect partial results (numbers) and process them - just simple bitwise and mathematic operations with int/uint vars (+, -, ++, --,

*, /). Would be also nice to have debugging capability for those scripts (at least dump or log).
Reply to
martin.nkm

Winders automatically has the MS-DOS batch language available.

 [page]:
            Try the download section.

CBFalconer

It sounds to me like you are describing Forth.

Rick

Reply to
rickman

How about "expect".

/*  jhallen@world.std.com AB1GO */                        /* Joseph H. Allen */
+r*57)/7,q=q?q-1?q-2?1-p%79?-1:0:p%79-77?1:0:p158?-79:0,q?!a[p+q*2
]?a[p+=a[p+=q]=q]=q:0:0;for(;q++-1817;)printf(q%79?"%c":"%c\n"," #"[!a[q-1]]);}
Reply to
Joseph H Allen

You might be able to get something useful just using the macro language in Tera Term Pro.

If you want something powerful, try Python. There's a pyserial module available for connecting to comms ports (including USB-based comms ports), and you should have all the scripting facilities you could want.

Reply to
David Brown

some IDEs have integrated built-in support for scripting language, such as the Renesas HEW IDE supporting TCL/TK. besides standard TCL/TK commands, debugging commands are also provided. However the HEW i describe is only for Renesas devices. You may need to find out more about the IDE and device you are using.

Reply to
tran.banh

Thanks. I want to be basically IDE independent because CPU may change in future while entire system and upper layers of the app remain unchanged.

Reply to
martin.nkm

Do you know whether TeraTerm works with virtual COM ports. E.g. if I replace RS-232 by USB in future. Python looks too complicated at this moment, but TTL in TeraTerm looks ok. Is TeraTerm freeware or do I have to pay some fee?

Reply to
martin.nkm

Yes. You may have to increase the number of COM ports in its configuration file.

Reply to
Arlet Ottens

Tera Term Pro is open source (I've forgotten the exact license - but it's completely free to use). And yes, it supports virtual COM ports - as Arlet says, you need to make a change in the teraterm.ini file to specify the maximum comm port number.

mvh.,

David

Reply to
David Brown