Schottky Rectifier vs Schottky Barrier

Here is a Diode Question:

What is the difference between a Schottky Rectifier and a Schottky Barrier diode?

Both have relativly low forward voltages, but when would I use one vs the other?

The reason I'm askingis because a Schottky Rectifier was designed into a product and used as a blocking diode to prevent a Li-Ion Coincell from charging. But it has since been found that the reverse leakage of this Schottky Rectifier diode was high enough that the Li-Ion battery was charging. I replaced the Schottky Rectifier diode with a Schottky Barrier BAT54 diode and the problem is gone.

In general do Schottky Rectifier diodes have higher reaverse leakage current than Schottky Barrier diodes?

Thanks,

Eric

Reply to
ericjohnholland

I would expect so. The 'Rectifier' is intended to be so used, so leakage is a minor concern. A diode is expected to bar all reverse path current, so its leakage should be very small.

 [page]:
            Try the download section.
Reply to
CBFalconer

AFAIK they are essentially the same thing (i.e. a dot of aluminum on a block of Silicon), _except_ that a 'rectifier' is presumed to be a power device, where a 'diode' could be anything. So a 'rectifier' might be optimized for lower forward drop at the cost of a some leakage, where a diode could be optimized for -- anything.

Whatever you use, check the specs.

--
http://www.wescottdesign.com
Reply to

I've never considered there was one.

That's what datasheets are for. To tell you how a device is expected to operate. Devices are optimized for different usages. That's why there are so many, so you have the luxury of choice. :)

Robert

Reply to
Robert Adsett

What is the difference between "oil" and "lubricant" ?

In the proposals, you should use the term "Shottky Barrier Diode", because it looks smart and scientific. When explaining to the techs, use the term "Shottky rectifier", because it is clear.

Lousy solution. Use FET or BJT switch.

I wish the problems that I have to solve be that simple.

Read the manual.

Vladimir Vassilevsky