Re: Need advice about starting off 8051 development...

Greetings all 8051 Gurus,

> >I am familiar with 8051 for some years now. >I even did my graduation project work over it. >That time however all the resources were available >at school and all I used at that time was hand coded ASM and >an universal programmer. How I managed without a board I still >get baffled. ;-) > >But now, the fire to develop over 8051 has be kindled again and >I want to relive my old days of 8051 development ;-( > >Just for the record, I am already employed as a Software Engineer >in a mobile devices company and this is just an attempt to do certain >things which I like to do in my spare time, or a hobby sort of thing. > >So basically my query boils down to the following: > >1. How to go about starting off 8051 embedded development? >What HW should I go for? Evaluation Boards? Single Board computers? >Emulators? Programmers? I have reviewed some of these options and have >shortlisted >Keil and SPJ systems as my final candidates. > >2. As far as software is concerned, I have enough free tools and might >even get the full version of Keil uvision. I have also a 8051 simulator >which I have written myself. > >3. Here's my idea about the development. Please correct me if I am wrong > in my assumptions. > > 1. Write the code and test in some IDE like uvision > 2. Use the Evaluation board to make a prototype. > 3. Test the prototype > 4. After testing it out, make the actual 'stuff', using preferably >some programmer to burn the code and place the 8051 into the circuit. > > I would basically like your help in choosing the correct stuff for >all the steps mentioned above. Like the best possible Eval Board for >step 1. , and the best possible programmer for step 4. >Do I even need a programmer? Can't I make my own? I know I can, but >would like to know whether it is really feasible and things like that. > >Thanks for all your patience for going through such a lengthy mail and >hoping to hear from the embedded community soon! > >Thanks again and regards, >Seemanta

As a perpetual novice in 8051, I use the raisonance 8051 c compiler, it works, its clunky, the 4K limited version is free.

I make my own "deveolpment systems" out of perf/strip board and a ZIF socket for the 8051 and 74HC glue logic, I can make one in a morning, using kynar wire, but longer if I need extra memory etc.

I still use a Kits123 programmer from Dontronics, absolutely excellent

Get a good soldering iron, quality side cutters etc, a current limited bench power supply, is my best advice, and a scope for checking the hardware, otherwise you waste hours wondering if its a hardware or software problem

martin

Reply to
martin griffith