Prototyping BGA's

I've got to build up ~5 prototypes with a 256-BGA on it. I figured I could place the parts on the boards and then put 'em in my wife's oven for 20 minutes at about 450 degrees. But then I though, "hey I have no idea what I'm doing so I'd better ask around.."

So I'm asking around. What's the most cost-effective way to tool up to put BGA's on prototype boards?

Thanks!

Reply to
Ian McBride

Hi Ian

I'm afraid that putting them into your wifes oven will make both of you unhappy.

There is a (german) page a guy set online which built an aparatus for exactly this purpose see:

Then, a maybe even better solution are the "Solder Quick" thin balls from Emulation Technology (

) (search for BGA Rework Stencils) which alow to easily apply solder paste and if you use SNBi solder, you can solder them at a temperature of around 300 degrees farenheit only. This relatively low temperature is having the advanteage that the balls of the bga's dont' melt but the solder paste does. That said the advanteage is that you easily can take the BGA's off the PCB later on and reuse them and most impotantly that the handling is much easier. You then would equip your board as usual, and put the BGA's on it as the last step. I haven't tried this myself yet though but I belive this could work out well.

HTH

Markus

Reply to
Markus Zingg