Protection Earth over PCB

maybe this question is a bit off topic here, but for a phase control thyristor design I plan to use the Tyco Mate-N-Lok conntectors for a one hp

3 phase AC motor. These connectors have UL up to 600VAC and plugged only without load.

I am shure that the PCB design can blow 3x16 Amp fuses but I am not shure wether I can use the PCB to provide PE to the motor or I have to do the complete PE wiring outside the board. Any hints for rules, text, UL, EN, VDE ... ?

Reply to
Jürgen Veith

Hello Jürgen,

You have to consult the standards and regulations that are covering your application. For example in my field which is medical electronics these would be documents such as IEC601-1.

Usually there are some ground rules. One says that a connection for PE cannot at the same time be a structural support. As an example this means you can't use a screw that is also holding a panel or something else in place. Next, the PE usually must remain uncompromised if a part is removed. So if your PCB is removable that might be a concern.

Personally I would always make sure there is full PE protection outside the PCB.

Regards, Joerg

Joerg