Programming Language Usage [was: C 99 compiler access]

Reading this thread, I was kind of curious as to the "state of play" of the major languages - a web search revealed quite a useful site ...

... which shows that there hasn't been a *huge* change in quite a while. Although I was kind of surprised to see the fairly recent dip in Java.

-Pete.

--

  • |
Brian > >> E. Robert Tisdale wrote: >> >>>Embedded [C] programmers represent >>>a tiny fraction of all C programmers. >> >> Where do you get your statistics >> on the number of embedded and non-embedded C programmers? >> I don't know either way, but am willing to accept that >> the number of C programmers working on embedded devices >> may now be larger than the number working on OSes, tools, DBMSes, >> *[iu]x projects in C nowadays, as the commercial world >> seems to have switched from C to newer languages and tools. >

Considering some of the other oddball languages they list I am surprised they hadn't listed Forth (which on the same basis of their published calculation method came above Prolog).

Paul E. Bennett ....................
Forth based HIDECS Consultancy .....
Mob: +44 (0)7811-639972 .........NOW AVAILABLE:- HIDECS COURSE......
Tel: +44 (0)1235-811095 .... see http://www.feabhas.com for details.
Paul E. Bennett

They do. Scroll down a bit. It's number 26 at 0.130%. Which puts it ahead of Ruby, Tcl/Tk, REXX, SmallTalk and Objective-C, but below Postscript, RPG, Scheme, and AWK.

Prolog is number 18 at 0.259%.

Regards,

-=Dave

--
Change is inevitable, progress is not.
Reply to

It is amazing what is a passed off as 'science' these days.

At least on googlefight, you know it is fun/nonsense, but these guys try and dress it up as information ?!

They did, but placed it at #26.

Some examples on googlefight

Forth Programming versus Prolog Programming (1 180 000 results) ( 266 000 results)

The winner is: Forth Programming

C# Programming versus Pascal Programming (1 500 000 results) ( 945 000 results) Delphi Programming (1 320 000 results) Makes Delphi/Pascal a clear winner over C# ?

There does seem to have been a trend-decline in Java, so I wondered if it was the .NET gaining ground, as the .NET languages seem to have increased. Delphi and Visual Basic both went up, and C# drifted a little.

So we try this on googlefight:

Java Programming versus .NET Programming (6 520 000 results) (8 990 000 results)

The winner is: .NET Programming

-jg

Reply to
Jim Granville

I think what's even more hilarious is that VHDL is in the list at number 48, right below Visual Foxpro at number 47. I wonder if I can do my next FPGA project in Visual Foxpro instead of VHDL? Or perhaps I should use Logo, it's at number 29!

Reply to
Tom

Considering what people in the business world use to make predictions and descisions, then the "information" provide on the above site can be considered to be an extremely accurate estimation of language popularity. If they can now somehow just use exactely the same information to show the opposite trend, then they have the makings of business gurus. :)

Regards Anton Erasmus

[stuff below snipped]
Reply to
Anton Erasmus

Amazing how I missed seeing it. I posted to the company as well folowing my own search with the search parameters as they described and Forth came in above Prolog (strange).

As they declare that they ignore values that are more than twice the previous months figures then I am sure the results will occassionally be less than those you might obtain on a trended plot (which takes into account at least some of the peak). Might be interesting to take ones own month by month census. I suppose.