PIC16F628: what's the addr of EEPROM?

Where in the docs is the starting address of EEPROM defined?? A program I wrote a year or so ago has EEPROM data ORG'd and DEFINED at 0x1200, but I have no idea were I got that address!

Having a senior moment, I guess.

Michael

Reply to
Michael

The only way to access to EEPROM bytes is via the EEADR, EEDATA, EECON1 and EECON2 registers. See section 13 of the datasheet how to do this.

Like the built in RAM, the EEPROM has an independent address space, and it starts at 0.

:-)

HTH Wolf

--
From-address is Spam trap
Use: wolfgang (dot) mahringer (at) sbg (dot) at

-Dear Michael,

-

-Michael wrote:

-> Where in the docs is the starting address of EEPROM defined?? A program

-> I wrote a year or so ago has EEPROM data ORG'd and DEFINED at 0x1200,

-> but I have no idea were I got that address!

-

-The only way to access to EEPROM bytes is via the EEADR, EEDATA, EECON1

-and EECON2 registers. See section 13 of the datasheet how to do this.

-

-Like the built in RAM, the EEPROM has an independent address space, and

-it starts at 0.

-

-> Having a senior moment, I guess.

-:-)

Wolf,

While technically true, there's more to the story. The data EEPROM of pics can be externally programmed by the PIC programmer. the 0x2100 is a convention used to describe the address space of the data EEPROM to the programmer. So the address is an agreement between the human programmer and the hardware PIC programmer to describe the data for the data EEPROM.

It could in fact be any other address that the human and the PIC programmer software can agree on. However for midrange PICS th 0x2100 is pretty standard.

Note that on the 18F parts the address is completely different: 0xC00000 IIRC. rason being is that 18F has a larger program memory address space.

Hope this helps,

BAJ (Trivial LVP PIC Programmer designer:

Byron A Jeff

Yeah, that does help. Thank-you. Subsequent to posting I decided that the reason I had ORGed EEPROM at x1200/x2100 (whichever) is that's what I'd done previously with 16f84 (Makes little sense; I know.)

The "book of words" for MPASM (document DS33014G) states very clearly that "DE" can be used to define the contents of EEPROM at device programming time, and it does work ... for the 16F628 at least. (As long as you ORG it correctly)

Reply to
Michael

Not strictly true. See the description of the DE assembler directive in your MPASM manual,

Reply to
Michael

Well, right. The DE statement has ONLY a meaning to your programmer. It has NO meaning to your software. But how the hell should I know you mean the programming addresses?

We could be more helpful if people give more than minimal infos :-(

Regards, Wolf

--
From-address is Spam trap
Use: wolfgang (dot) mahringer (at) sbg (dot) at
Reply to
Wolfgang Mahringer

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany