OT: calculate network bandwidth.

Good Folks, I have a camera with VGA resolution and want to calculate required ~bandwidth for that.

VGA 640x480

640 x 480 = 307200 pixels 307200 x 1024 = 300 kilo pixels (or divide by 8?) 300 x 1024 = 0.3 Mega pixels

Let frame rate be 25 fps.

required bandwidth = ? (assuming there will be no other traffic)

thanks ali

Reply to
Ali

Found interesting calculator here

and tested it with 212PTZ camera model.

I think 0.3 Mega pixels multiply by number of frames gives us the traffic load.

ali

Reply to
Ali

Yes, but the units are pixels per second, which may or may not be what you are actually looking for. If this is being sent as a single digital data stream, the bits-per-pixel is needed as another multiplier, to give Mbits/sec data speed, and network packet overhead goes on top of that.

-jg

Reply to
Jim Granville

here

jg, sorry can't get your very point.

Yeah, pixel is not equal to bit and one pixel consists on multiple bits.

ali

Reply to
Ali

Op Thu, 15 Nov 2007 08:21:23 +0100 schreef Ali :

Using which layer of which transport protocol?

--

Gemaakt met Opera's revolutionaire e-mailprogramma:  =

http://www.opera.com/mail/
Reply to
Boudewijn Dijkstra

This makes apr. 123 megabits/second at 16 bits per pixel. You need to include some protocol overhead etc., 135 MbpS should suffice - if you have the entire network, no collisions etc. Some compression - e.g. simple like RLE - can dramatically reduce these figures.

Dimiter

Didi