OS for 8 bits processor

I have been programming networking/communication stacks from some time (almost 10 years) in the embedded space. The reason I say that an RTOS could simplify you architecture is because you can:

(1) abstract complex state machines (by using the provided data objects) (2) Hide implementation details (by creating stand alone modules with little dependencies) (3) Encapsulate data (instead of using global state and/or status flags (4) Change the data flow with little effort (i.e. remove protocol handlers or add hooks) (5) High level applications do also benefit from the multitasking environment in the same way as the networking stack.

I agree with you in that you can get away without an RTOS, but a simple scheduler with some synchronization primitives can make our embedded programming life much easier.

Rene

Reply to
rTrenado

I totally agree with you, except none of the reasons you sight have anything to do with a real-time operating system - they are present in a generic operating system without any real-time functions.

Kelly

Reply to
Kelly Hall

Indeed, you are right. The point I wanted to make is that the RTOS further simplifies the net stack development on an embedded system as small as the AVR and gives you a lot of tools to achieve the points I listed for as little as 4K of ROM.

Kelly Hall wrote:

Reply to
rTrenado

I earn my living writing RTOS in Assembly _but_ our customer don't have to search for bugs in the sources (they get). That's my job ;-) (No, I do _not_ work for CMX !)

--
42Bastian
Do not email to bastian42@yahoo.com, it's a spam-only account :-)

Just out of curiousity: Why free ? Is it a hobby project ? If not, save your employers money and buy a commercial one with a good support.

--
42Bastian
Do not email to bastian42@yahoo.com, it's a spam-only account :-)
Use @monlynx.de instead !
Reply to
42Bastian Schick

I have to agree that, at least as far as the scheduler and its near kin, my experience has been that in most architectures writing that code in -Assembly- results in code that is somewhat spagetti-ish (you are swapping contexts, handling atomic operations like semaphores and avoiding deadlocks), but in C or any other "high" level language it would be just as spagetti-ish and require that you be fluent in both the architectural assembly language and C (or whatever) as well as knowledgeable when it comes to the optimizing the complier is going to do for/to you.

I have written several custom RTOSes, developed on several comercial RTOSes (though some might reserve another name for "Real Time Unix/Regulus"), and by far the easiest to debug were the ones with a well defined hardware abstraction layer (sorry, not to be confused with the Windows NT HAL) with assembly below the interface and whatever language you want above it.

[And I don't work for CMX either.]

--Charles

Reply to
Charles Marslett

It is a project at my University, and we do not have money for commercial products unfortunately. so i do not have any choice

/Ulf

Reply to
Ulf Reiman

Can you recommend some RTOS?

/Ulf

Reply to
Ulf Reiman

Ah, many vendors offer school-licenses (ours is 50% off), but some restrict the support (we not) on those licenses.

OTOH, you learn a lot more when porting/debugging a "free" RTOS.

--
42Bastian
Do not email to bastian42@yahoo.com, it's a spam-only account :-)
Use @monlynx.de instead !
Reply to
42Bastian Schick

Who areyou working for? What RTOS?

/Ulf

Reply to
Ulf Reiman

Sciopta.

But AVR is not yet released.

But (my boss will kill me :-) ) check out ENEA OSE (Swedish !).

Both Sciopta and OSE are direct message passing OSes, which is ideal for protocol stacks.

--
42Bastian
Do not email to bastian42@yahoo.com, it's a spam-only account :-)
Use @monlynx.de instead !
Reply to
42Bastian Schick

ENEA OSE seems to support mostly 32 bit processors. With a footprint of 100K, there is not much of chance to use it on an 8-bit MCU.

Regards Anton Erasmus

Reply to
Anton Erasmus

Although I no longer work for ENEA, I have to say, you are wrong.

OSE Epsilson runs on AVR,C16x and now HCS12 (Sciopta currently only HCS12).

The Epsilon ARM Kernel (I worked at) is about 5K.

What you are referening to is OSE Delta (which is comparable with full blown Sciopta but _much_ larger).

--
42Bastian
Do not email to bastian42@yahoo.com, it's a spam-only account :-)
Use @monlynx.de instead !
Reply to
42Bastian Schick

I only did a quick browse through their web site. The whole site seems to be targeted at non-technical people. If their documentation is as unclear as their web site, I would stay a million miles away from their product(s).

Regards Anton Erasmus

Reply to
Anton Erasmus

No. Not a hobby project. However it is a shoestring budget R&D. Most commercial OS'es I've looked at are ridiculously expensive--$20K and up... WAY out of our ball park. $3-5K maybe---$20K+... I can't sell it to management.

Bo

Reply to
Bo

< 5k => go ask at snipped-for-privacy@sciopta.com (other then AVR, as I said, it is not yet released, but M16C or HCS12 have the same price).
--
42Bastian
Do not email to bastian42@yahoo.com, it's a spam-only account :-)
Use @monlynx.de instead !
Reply to
42Bastian Schick

I cannot jugde on Delta, but the Epsilon products docu is well.

--
42Bastian
Do not email to bastian42@yahoo.com, it's a spam-only account :-)
Use @monlynx.de instead !
Reply to
42Bastian Schick

What is comments about my looking for a free Operation system that can be used for 8-bits CPU, AVR; I am using a card with Atmega 128 and CC2420. I will implement the IEEE 802.4.15 protocol stack but a need an OS that can take care of the stack.

Regards Ulf Reiman

Reply to
Ulf Reiman

Consider rewriting nanok, which was written for the MC68HC11. It's a real-time microkernel.

Reply to
Clifford Heath

In article , Ken writes

He wasn't spamming. Grant was not making comments in frustration at any spamming but commenting on the OS.

Chuck has as much right to reply as any one else. I note he used is own real eamil address. He did not use a fake address like many do. SO you can put the email in context that he is some one from the company. That is honest.

OTOH you could be from a competitor....

/\/\/ chris@phaedsys.org      www.phaedsys.org \/\/\
Chris Hills