OS for 8 bits processor

Hi! I am looking for a free Operation system that can be used for 8-bits CPU, AVR; I am using a card with Atmega 128 and CC2420. I will implement the IEEE 802.4.15 protocol stack but a need an OS that can take care of the stack. I have look on the Contiki by Adam Dunkel but is fully integrated with his TCP/IP stack so a need something else. Does anyone have some suggestions?

Regards Ulf Reiman

Reply to
Ulf Reiman

or

Regards. Richard

Reply to
Richard

Look here

regards

Dejan

Reply to
Dejan

CMX Systems has both a RTOS and stack for the AVR family.

Chuck

"Chuck" a écrit dans le message de news: snipped-for-privacy@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com...

CMX is not free OS. Perhaps without royalties, but not free.

--

-Stan

Reply to
Stan

A friend of mine whose technical opinions I trust implicitly used CMX-tiny on the AVR and had nothing nice to say about it. He recommended against it when I was shopping.

In addition to the other's mentioned, there's XMK:

I Haven't used it, but I was rather impressed after browsing the source code an documentation a while back.

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow!  Here I am in the
                                  at               POSTERIOR OLFACTORY LOBULE

We'll, we have thousands of HAPPY customers. Not sure whom this friend is, but I can provide contact info of people specifically using CMX-TINY+ for the AVR and are very happy with it and some have tried or compared other OSes and we have won against them.

Chuck

Reply to
Chuck

I think the comments are more an expression of frustration at your spamming this thread.

Reply to
Ken

You might use Liquorice:

It has not been updated for a while, but looks nice enough.

Tom

Reply to
Tom Twist

Ulf was asking for a free version. CMX has free non-trial versions of their products?

Reply to
David Kelly

I don't understand your desire for an OS. First thing many embedded newbies think they need is an OS. After all, their PC is useless without an OS so they expect to need one on their embedded chip.

Do you want a framework which has 802.4.15? Or are you creating the

802.4.15 yourself and desire an OS?

Every Chipcon reference implementation I've looked at was AVR based. Go dig for Chipcon's free reference designs and see if their code is suitable.

Reply to
David Kelly

An RTOS would really simplify the software architecture for appliactions involving networking stacks.

Try FreeRTOS (FreeRTOS.org), it is very easy to use and you can embed it to your commercial product at no cost (pleae check the license first).

I just started to implement an 802.4.25 stack us> >

Reply to
rTrenado

Why do you think so? I've been using networking stacks on machines without real-time operating systems for the better part of 20 years.

Having multiple threads of execution is great, but an RTOS is a lot more than just a task scheduler.

Kelly

Reply to
Kelly Hall

I am creating the 802.4.15 from scratch together with some people. Do you have any link to source code for some availably stack I would be very happy?

What is your suggestion of using OS or not, a mean the stack must have multiple threads of execution so a need a task scheduler and more. It is possibly to build one by our own, but I hope someone has already done it. Have you a link to something?

Where can i find free Chipcon refence design code, a have search in chpcons website and did not findt any?

/Ulf Reiman

/Ulf Reiman

Reply to
Ulf Reiman

Go to

, choose Download on left menu, click CC2420 in the white pane, and click "Choose category". Scroll down to see downloadable files.

Tom

Reply to
Tom Twist

Are you sure it must?

Ian

Reply to
Ian Bell

Ian Bell skrev:

I dont now,may it not go faster if i do like that. Do you think it better to have just a queue to put in the things to do?

/Ulf

Reply to
Ulf Reiman

Ian Bell skrev:

I dont now,may it not go faster if i do like that. Do you think it better to have just a queue to put in the things to do?

/Ulf

Reply to
Ulf Reiman

Thank you

/Ulf

Reply to
Ulf Reiman

For most stack only applications a simple event queue works very well.

Ian

Reply to
Ian Bell