Motor Operation Detection?

I am looking for methods of determining when a automobile-size engine is operational or not.

So far I have two solutions:

1) Temperature. Hot=on. Cool-off. 2) Magnetic pickup.

Are there any other ideas I am missing?

Reply to
eeboarder

Tach?

--
Rob Gaddi, Highland Technology
Email address is currently out of order

Microphone or vibration sensor.

Reply to
David Brown

If your "automobile-size engine" comes with an automobile-style electronic engine controller, it may well have a (serial, digital) OBD- II output, which will tell you more than you ever wanted to know about the operation of the engine. Not particularly hard to interface with.

Temperature is going to be a pretty laggy indicator, I'd run a tach of some sort off a shaft, or use an inductive pickup off a spark plug wire or fuel injector.

Reply to
robertwessel2

There used to be an after market tachometer that plugged into a lighter socket. It filtered the engine firing noise off the automobile 12 volt buss for input.

w..

eeboarder wrote:

Reply to
Walter Banks

oil press sw

Reply to
K Ludger

If you mean to detect shaft rotation that would probably be best. But, I would put one on each end of the shaft.

Oil pressure - will be somewhat laggy, but nowhere near as bad as Temperature.

Alternator output - be sure to isolate from battery

If it uses spark plugs - monitor spark. No spark, no run.

Plus all the others mentioned

--
ArarghMail903 at [drop the 'http://www.' from ->] http://www.arargh.com
BCET Basic Compiler Page: http://www.arargh.com/basic/index.html

To reply by email, remove the extra stuff from the reply address.
Reply to
ArarghMail903NOSPAM

Do fuel injected engines generate enough vacuum? I kind assumed that most "automobile-size engine"s would be, these days.

I remember vacuum powered windshield wipers. Had to take your foot off the gas for them to work really well. :-)

On a 52 Husdon, if you really want to know. :-)

--
ArarghMail903 at [drop the 'http://www.' from ->] http://www.arargh.com
BCET Basic Compiler Page: http://www.arargh.com/basic/index.html

To reply by email, remove the extra stuff from the reply address.
Reply to
ArarghMail903NOSPAM

Usually the two ends of the crankshaft ought to rotate together, except for very brief and rather disastrous scenarios.

Or vacuum, assuming it's a naturally aspirated engine.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

No ECM at all. It may be naturally aspirated or turbo charged. It's for a compressor station, but it's essentially a car engine.

Reply to
eeboarder

... snip ...

Fuel requires oxygen to burn. Where do you think the engine gets that? If it is not 'naturally aspirated' something has raised the atmospheric pressure at the intakes.

 [page]:
            Try the download section.
Reply to
CBFalconer

Fuel injected engines don't have carbs. AFAIK, most of the vacuum came from the venturi in the carb (used to suck the gas into the air stream). For a fuel injected engine, I can see no reason to have an unneeded restriction to the intake airflow just to have a vacuum source.

--
ArarghMail903 at [drop the 'http://www.' from ->] http://www.arargh.com
BCET Basic Compiler Page: http://www.arargh.com/basic/index.html

To reply by email, remove the extra stuff from the reply address.
Reply to
ArarghMail903NOSPAM

Oil pressure sounds like a logical way to go. There's probably an ignition shut-off that kills the engine if oil pressure drops-- even inexpensive portable generators have those.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

The torque of an internal-combustion engine is controlled by a throttle valve in the intake manifold. When the mixture is correct for the burning in the cylinders, the effective pressure in the cylinders is proportional to the absolute pressure in the intake manifold. This applies regardless whether the fuel is added in a carb or injected into the manifold or injected into the cylinders (as in diesels).

An absolute pressure less than the surrounding air pressure is commonly called suction. In a non-turbocharged engine the absolute pressure in the intake manifold is always less than the air pressure outside, due to the flow resistances in the piping, filters and throttle.

The gas flow around the throttle valve creates a feedback effect between the rotation speed of the engine and the manifold pressure. This may create an impression that the speed of the engine is controlled by the throttle.

--

Tauno Voipio
tauno voipio (at) iki fi

In message , Spehro Pefhany writes

Turbo or NA, I would suspect you're going to get a pressure difference between atmosphere and manifold so a differential sensor may be useful. Of course, it might not work on a diesel. For a petrol/gas engine I'd be looking for an ignition pulse or alternator noise and for a diesel I'd be looking for alternator noise alone.

--
Clint Sharp
Reply to