Minimal-operation shift-and-add (or subtract)

There's a method that I know, but can't remember the name. And now I want to tell someone to Google for it.

It basically starts with the notion of multiplying by shift-and-add, but uses the fact that if you shift and then either add or subtract, you can minimize "addition" operations.

I.e., 255 = 256 - 1, 244 = 256 - 16 + 4, etc.

--
Tim Wescott
I'm looking for work!  See my website if you're interested

It seems that you're after Booth's algorithm: .

--

-TV
Reply to

Yes. Got an answer on the fpga group, and didn't say so here.

Thanks.