MCS-51 and ARM only major players?

I'm new to the embedded world of development. I've noticed two major/multi-vendor types of microcontrollers. The simpler (relative low complexity) MCS-51 microcontrollers and the more complex ARM based microcontrollers. Are there more than these two major microcontrollers on the market that have multiple vendors? The AVR looks big but it looks as though Atmel is the only provider. I guess there is the x86 that Intel and AMD provide.

Reply to
John Moore

My company is still doing a good business selling x86 DOS controllers. Having a simple, cheap board with a DOS that boots in 500ms is useful for many of our customers.

Intel and and AMD are out of the x86 embedded market, but RDC in Taiwan makes some excellent x86 chips.

Reply to
Jim Stewart

Do RDC have any plans to release a FLASH x86 variant as a microcontroller ?

-jg

Reply to
Jim Granville

In article , John Moore writes

X85 and AMD are not in the embedded space really.

There are all the Freescale parts Most of the worlds telecoms runs on PowerPC chips (NOT x86-PC)

Just have a look at Renesas, Samsung, Texac, Toshiba, ST, infineon, NXP, National, NEC, Zilog, OKI etc etc

I think that 8051 and ARM are the two largest general purpose parts but PIC's and AVR are widely used. Some parts are less widely used but used in much larger numbers the NEC parts for example.

/\/\/ chris@phaedsys.org      www.phaedsys.org \/\/\
Chris Hills

MIPS competes with ARM, ARM has most of the cellphone market, MIPS has the routers, set top boxes, which the new ARM cortex is directly trying to compete with

Reply to
steve