*.MAP and *.LOC file formats??

Hi

I am developing a product prototype using a TERN development board based on a 586 processor and using Paradigm C compiler. When I compile and build my program it generates a few files specifically *.HEX ,

*.ROM , *.MAP , *.LOC. I have information regarding hex and rom files but I could not find satisfactory info on the other two and would be glad if any of you could help me understand me the significance of these files and how to read/interpret them.

Also if any of few could help me about

  1. Relocating (downloading) HEX files at any desired location in the EEROM of the controller.
  2. How does the downloading program writes code (.hex file) to Flash(EEROM)
  3. Where is the program for downloading the code from PC stored internally in the controller?
  4. Where is the starting up software (bootloader perhaps) of the controller stored internally in the controller?

Please reply ASAP Regards

Fskhan

Reply to
fskhan

Those formats are particular to your C programming toolchain. It's a job for the maker of that toolchain to document them.

Erm... so what's it going to be: relocating or downloading? The two have rather different meanings in this context.

It depends. There are various different approaches. Generally you have a small program, called a "bootloader", "monitor" in olden times, nowadays maybe a "IAP kernel" or something like that, which gets sent the program to be written, and does so via the EEPROM's programming interface.

Wherever the controller manufacturer (or the maker of that particular development board's bootloader) saw fit to put it.

What makes you so sure the is one?

Reply to
Hans-Bernhard Bröker