low-power, high capacity data queue design ideas

So I have to design a low-power data queuing system. I've never done a low power design, so I though I'd come to this newsgroup to solicit a few ideas.

I'm going to be continuously receiving data at 55KBps. I have to store a whole days worth of data before I offload the data to another device which ends up being ~4.8GB. The offload rate is going to be ~6.5MBps.

My initial thinking is to build Cool-Runner or a Spartan-3E to control an SD-Card. But it's totally open, so I could use Compact Flash, USB flash key, or even some SDRAM. So with the main constraints being low- power and ease of implementation, what would you guys suggest.

Thanks in advance.

Reply to
ed.agunos

Why are you looking at complicated FPGA solutions when what you are asking about could easily be done by, say, an MSP430 microcontroller in a few milliamps? The main power cost in this case being the SD writes, which should be buffered in RAM as far as possible (certainly for 512 bytes at a minimum). Leave the CPU sleeping until it gets the data received interrupt, to save a bit more power.

You don't want to get into USB if you can possibly avoid it, plus USB will require 5V supply in your system and generally a linear regulator in the memory stick wasting power to bring the 5V back down to 3.3V or

1.8V. SD is easy and cheap and 3.3V-native.
Reply to
zwsdotcom

How expensive are SD writes in terms of energy?

--
Pertti
Reply to

I don't have the data to hand, but I have done this analysis for 1 month's operation for 48Kbytes/hr being written vs. buffering to a

64MByte DDR SDRAM device, and SD won by a long margin (if buffered appropriately).
Reply to
zwsdotcom

How critical is reliability vs power consumption? If you have no non-volatile memory, and just keep everything in a horrific amount of SDRAM, and the widget loses power and the data vanishes into the void, is that a mild inconvenience or does it bomb the wrong embassy?

--=20 Rob Gaddi, Highland Technology Email address is currently out of order

Reply to
Rob Gaddi

You ask this question in a manner that implies the two ideas are mutually exclusive. But good point.

Reply to
zwsdotcom

You ask this question in a manner that implies the two ideas are mutually exclusive. But good point.

Reply to
Steve at fivetrees

I don't have the full design details, but I am guessing that it's a mild inconvenience.

Reply to
ed.agunos

To be honest, I haven't done the FPGA vs. Microcontroller power comparison.

I do FPGAs and a group has come to me and said that they've determined that an FPGA was the way to go. I don't know how they made that determination.

But... I think part of their rationale is that this thing is never going to be in a sleep state as the incoming data is constantly coming in... and to achieve the 8MBps rate out (along with overhead) they'd have to clock the microcontroller relatively fast. I think they had a PIC in mind when they were making these decisions.

Reply to
ed.agunos