Low power stereo amplifier

Hi,

I need to amplify the Rear Line-Out from my USB Audigy 2 NX for output to a pair of 4 ohm stereo multimedia speakers. However, rather than paying upwards of $75 AUD for a prebuilt or kit amplifier, I've decided to construct a low power amplifier myself using spare parts. After searching the net, I've found three designs that look promising

If anyone has any suggestions about these or recommendations of other designs, their input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

--James

Reply to
dkjk

The first one is a class-A amplifier that'll require massive heat sinks and cooling, and a larger power supply. The other two use power ICs and will be easier for you to construct.

--
 Thanks,
    - Win

The class-A amp in Rod Elliot's site is a very similar design to the (relatively) famous John Linsey Hood design from 1996 - it's a TERRIFIC amp, but it's construction is not trivial, as it requieres massive heatsinking and a very low noise power supply.

As for the IC-based amplifiers, those are quite good, specially considering the price and ease of implementation. I would definitely reccomend those - i think you'll be pretty happy with the final result.

Reply to
Lisandro Pin

Hi James,

Class D amps are much lower in dissipation if you need it in a small space. TI makes the chips, plus some other major mfgs.

Other Idea: Why not take the amp from an old stereo? Either from a stereo that you need to junk because the players fell apart or from a garage sale. That's what I did. The amp is even black, matching the computer. Cost would be next to nothing, nice clean enclosure, no soldering.

Regards, Joerg

Joerg

Well, as it shows, english IS my second language ;)

Reply to
Lisandro Pin

wrote

Why not go to a second-hand junk store/ask around/ebay, and pick up an old stereo receiver/amp in the $5-$10 range?

--
Nicholas O. Lindan, Cleveland, Ohio
Consulting Engineer:  Electronics; Informatics; Photonics.

I posed a similar question here several weeks ago, and was pointed towards the National LM4752 part, which I'm planning on using to build my own.

Ken Finney