Line state of RS232 and RS485 chips while shutdown?

I would like to connect both a standard RS232 driver and a RS485 driver to the same physical connector. The datasheets say the Rout and Tout pins are in a HIGH impedance state. However I need confirmation that this state is sufficient to withstand the voltages of the RS232 driver on the RS485 driver and visa versa.

Thanks, Nicholas Karsen.

Reply to
Nicholas Karsen

In article , Nicholas Karsen writes

Which RS485 driver? If using the SN75176 or similar, it will not like having RS232 voltages on its RS485 line pins. Its absolute max voltages are +12V, -5V which may be exceeded by RS232.

--
Tim Mitchell
Reply to

Is there a bidirectional multiplexer which could isolate these two line drivers with maximum and minimum voltages of +-20 volts, minimal propagation delay, and low impedence, other than a mechanical switch. I have been searching, however most silicon based multiplexers are limited to the voltages ranges of their device families.

Thanks, Nicholas

are

driver

Reply to
Nicholas Karsen

There are a lot of products on the market that do exactly this, so there must be RS-485 drivers for which RS-232 levels are not out of bounds.

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow!  Where's th' DAFFY
                                  at               DUCK EXHIBIT??

Grant Edwards wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@isis.visi.com:

Maxim Max3160?

Reply to
Gunther Mannigel

Linear Tech and Sipex also both make these parts, RS-232, RS-422, RS-485. I have one on our DSP boards. But they are pricy. Around $6 each for LT1334 with 4/4 single ended and 2/2 differential drivers/receivers.

--
Rick "rickman" Collins

rick.collins@XYarius.com
 Click to see the full signature