Languages, is popularity dominating engineering?

Oops, you are right - wrong listing, this is the on PC afterwards to see what would happen there.

Here is a slide I did in a Beagelbone presentation. Also the example was with ints - it has been a while since I did the presentation. Memory fades...

unsigned int a[1024],b[1024],c[1024],i; for (i=0;ic, r1->b, r5 ->a r0->c, r1->b, r3 ->a r3 = 0 r2-> 16 past end of a .L3: .L3: ldr ip, [r0, r3] vld1.64 {d16-d17}, [r0:64]! ldr r2, [r1, r3] vld1.64 {d18-d19}, [r1:64]! add r2, ip, r2 vadd.i32 q8, q9, q8 str r2, [r5, r3] vst1.64 {d16-d17}, [r3:64]! add r3, r3, #4 cmp r3, r2 cmp r3, #4096 bne .L3 bne .L3

Reply to
Dennis

Well, that may be the case for "typical" programmers - but when /I/ used compilers that needed this kind of help, I verified the generated code to be sure that there was a real difference before doing any manual array-to-pointer conversion or other such tricks. So yes, /my/ tricks were without doubt smarter than that compiler - it was not that my tricks were so clever, but that the particular compiler had very poor optimisation.

But when such tricks are carried over to newer and/or better compilers, they are often not just harder to read or maintain, but result in poorer code - compilers can generally optimise clear code better than cryptic code.

You don't upgrade or change toolchains in the middle of a project. And if the same code is later re-used in a different project, then it could well need significant change to re-write it in a better style - but that possibility applies to any code re-use. (The usual issues apply - efficient running code, written in a short time, on the current system balanced against portability, flexibility and maintainability in the future. It's all very well wanting to write code that will be good for future re-use - but not if the current customer has to pay for it.)

Reply to
David Brown

While I can't comment on *your* abilities -- or the characteristics of your VPA -- I can only say that *I* have (long ago) been blown away by how *clever* many of the optimizing compilers can be!

The machine has the advantage of being able to "instantly" evaluate a variety of different approaches to a *particular* problem -- and settle on the "best" one (where "best" can be defined AT COMPILE TIME) while taking into consideration as much (or as little) of the surrounding "context" that it deems appropriate.

By contrast, when *I* "optimize", I have to look at "big picture" issues (that the compiler is incapable of grasping). E.g., what *type* of algorithm would best solve this problem? And, for that specific type, how best to implement it?

Also, I can take advantage of compiler enhancements/improvements without spending ANY time "re-bugging" the code.

Or, porting the code to an entirely different processor.

Finally, the guy who fills my chair next week can step right into my shoes and benefit from my labors (in crafting the approach) and the compiler's efforts (in translating idea into op-codes).

A lot depends on the language. Some languages truly treat the programmer as "challenged" (in the name of "making it easier to code"). Others expose the programmer to increasing amounts of the hardware -- and risk.

You can make mistakes in *any* language. E.g., typing "A * B" instead of "A + B" -- no language will protect you from your own incompetence.

What do you do when your design is ported to a processor that has a different register complement? E.g., in the early 80's, I was in the Z80 camp while a friend was in the 68xx. How we approached algorithms varied considerably as he was always stuck with the "single accumulator" model (i.e., always hammering on memory for every data access). I, OTOH, could keep several pointers, data, flags, etc. "on hand" and quickly juggle between them.

What I *most* miss about, e.g., ASM is *good* macro processing. I could write things like:

STATE Idle On digit MoveTo GetDigits Executing accumulate On help_key MoveTo Helping Executing show_help Otherwise RemainInPlace Executing beep

STATE Helping On next_key RemainInPlace Executing next_screen On prev_key RemainInPlace Executing prev_screen Check Status Otherwise PreviousState Executing restore

Or:

LOOP: SCALE 2.5 2.5 BLANK MOVETO 2734 8883 BLUE MOVETO 2734 0 MOVETO 0 0 MOVETO 0 8883 BLANK SYNC 13 JMP LOOP

And, being able to do this without dragging in another text processor (possibly forcing these "snippets" to reside in other files to do so)

Reply to
Don Y

Exactly. It's harder to get the code "right", harder for others to understand what you are doing (and *why* you are doing it that way), harder to sort out boundary conditions and verify behavior, there, etc.

Ha! I've had projects where the tools were updated almost *weekly* -- as bugs were uncovered, etc. The alternative is to live with every bug in the compiler. This leads to lots of "documented workarounds" in the sources which are almost *worse* than trying to be "cryptic" ("Why didn't the developer just write XXXX instead of this *mess*?")

This played a large part in moving me to FOSS tools -- not wanting to HAVE TO wait for the vendor to fix a set of bugs so I could write "legitimate" code instead of "workaround" code!

I've had a simple approach to this with clients: you want to benefit from the work I've done for others? Then you have to allow the next guy to benefit from the work I'm doing for *you*! Or, you can pay for me to develop EVERYTHING I USE *from scratch*!

Reply to
Don Y

Coyotes ate them. 8-) Last week the Critter Cam captured a fight in the yard.

Which goes to the very next thing I said - vocabulary. It's relatively easy to spot simple grammatically caused logic errors in many languages - however, complex logic errors require knowing the purpose of the variables, their dependencies, and often also the evolution of their values. These things are independent of the language's grammar.

But the largest source of bugs in most code is incorrect usage of library functions. Spotting these additionally requires knowledge of the library - not just of the code that's calling it.

Agreed.

That is the whole point of constraint logic languages, including the class of so-called "expert system" languages, in which the code is a

*specification* of the solution and that specification *IS* the implementation. Unfortunately, too many of them run like molasses in winter.

My sister has a new(ish this year) beagle. Last week it got onto the kitchen counter and ate 1/3 of a cranberry/nut pie, 3/4 loaf of date/nut bread and 20 frosted gingerbread cookies.

Then it asked to be let out and led my sister right past the crumbs.

8-)

George

Reply to
George Neuner

Low hanging? Or, tall coyotes??

Cool! We've been hearing nearby kills. A few nights ago, whatever they caught *screamed*!

I think a fair number of bugs come from folks not remembering what "x" is (icky grammar). Hence the silly naming conventions that try to *remind* the developer that "this is a pointer to a char", etc.

If they haven't specified the functionality and approach BEFORE they sat down to code, it's too easy to trick themselves in to thinking "something else" halfway through.

And, the OP hasn't tried to clarify that.

Ha! My first winter, here, I opted to make a popcorn garland (C wanted a small tree). Had never done this but figured it couldn't be *that* hard!

(No, just tedious and time consuming! It's amazing how many popped kernels it takes to create a linear foot of garland!!)

Finished. Sighed audibly enough for the folks in the next block to hear me. Then, strung (stringed?) the garland around the tree and wandered off to clean by hands, etc.

Returned to the living room to find Josie standing on her hind legs, paws on the table, eyes fixed on the tree -- with the garland strand down her throat. Joyfully chewing away while the tree obligingly rotated to "dispense" additional garland "on demand".

It was damn near her last evening on the planet!! :-/

More cookies, tonight. Need "the zest of three lemons" (though I decided to try *six*, instead). OK, might as well pick the tree clean. It's a wee bit of a thing (second season, maybe 3 ft tall?) so it can't have many fruit, right?

Sixty pounds. Spent the last two hours juicing the things. And I still haven't zested my six lemons!! :-/

Reply to
Don Y

The naming conventions exist because programming involves a lot of trivia, and some people just can't keep it all in their heads.

I don't think grammar is the answer to that. I know you are familiar with Algol, but you may not be aware that the Algol parser was itself specified using a 2-level attributed 'vW'-grammar (for Van Wijngaarden). The idea at the time was to (try to) encode semantics and data typing into the parser generating (compiler-compiler) grammar so that the resulting parser could catch language usage errors as syntax errors before they reached later stages of compilation.

I don't know how well that idea actually worked: I've heard that Algol parsers all were hand written (rather than tool generated), that they really didn't catch most type and semantic errors and that was never any implementation that 100% corresponded to the official grammar.

However, as a language and compiler geek myself, I know that trying to read that grammar gives me a headache. It's so complex that few languages since - and no commercial ones - have tried to follow Algol's example. Single level (E)BNF grammars which (essentially) encode only syntax became the norm for language development.

Statistically, the most problems occur with functions expecting pointer arguments: e.g., passing a value where a pointer is expected, or a pointer where a handle is expected. Too many libraries have APIs that (relatively) are poorly designed.

It's worse in languages that don't require declarations and/or that allow variables to take on values of any type. Up above 'x' was ... but now it is ...

Having said that, I appreciate having certain flexibility and these days I'm writing a lot of code in Scheme and SQL.

George

Reply to
George Neuner

One other time when the programmer can (or thinks he can) optimise better than the compiler is when the programmers knows something the compiler does not know. For example, the programmer might know that an "int" parameter to a particular function is only ever 1, 2 or 3 - and use that to his advantage in the code.

However, with modern tools you can achieve quite a lot of such optimisation by giving the compiler more information. There are three tools for this. One is to make sure you use "static" for your functions and file-scope variables whenever possible (this is good practice anyway), since it lets the compiler know all uses of the function and data. Another is to use link-time optimisation (or whole-program optimisation), that lets the compiler optimise across modules. And finally, many compilers support gcc's "__builtin_unreachable()" or similar pseudo-functions that let you give the compiler extra information. Thus you can tell the compiler that "x" is between 1 and 3 by writing:

if ((x < 1) || (x > 3)) __builtin_unreachable();

Other things that modern compilers can do is constant propagation across modules (with LTO), partial inlining, and function cloning (if a function is only ever used a few times, but with different constant parameters, it can be more efficient to generate multiple constant-specific versions of the function). It's all great stuff, letting you write your code clearly, correctly, and flexibly, while helping the compiler turn it into fast object code.

I too have sometimes had to use Python pre-processing for calculations that could often be done by assembler macro processors, but which cannot be done with the C pre-processor. A key issue is that the C pre-processor can't do loops or recursive macros.

However, C++ offers new ways to do this with templates with integer parameters, and constexpr functions in C++11 (and extended in C++14). You won't get quite the syntaxes from your examples above, but it can certainly cover some advanced compile-time calculation.

Reply to
David Brown

The 2-level grammar was used only for Algol-68, which is not what people usually mean by "Algol" -- Algol-60 is usually meant. Algol-68 was a very different language from Algol-60.

The grammar of Algol-60 was specified using Backus-Naur context-free grammar ("BNF"), which is when BNF was invented.

I think it resembles an Algol-68 parser implemented in Prolog. The "uniform replacement rule" is essentially the same as matching and binding free Prolog variables. Too bad that Prolog was not around at the time, it might have provided a direct route from a 2-level grammar to a parser.

But for compiler development, many people developed and I think some also used attribute grammars. The idea is the same -- include semantic analysis in parsing -- but it is more practical because the attributes can be of various types, attribute computations can be propagated upwards or downwards in the parse tree (inherited/synhetic attributes), and there can be several iterations of attribute computation. In the

2-level grammar, the semantic data corresponding to attribute values were forced to look like sentences or syntax trees and could only be accessed by something like the pattern-matching decomposers, used today in functional languages.

But I don't really understand why the method used for describing the grammar and semantics of a programming language should have much to do with the kind of bugs that are common in programs using that language. Either the language is defined to catch certain kinds of syntax and semantic errors at compile time, or not, and the compiler either works according to the language standard, or not. The method used to define or describe the language can only have an indirect effect, by helping or hindering the construction of correct compilers and other analysis tools.

--
Niklas Holsti
Tidorum Ltd

Of course they can be clever. My point is that overall humans are much cleverer at using a language - check for example how we use natural languages and how do the machines cope. It is a matter of time until they outsmart us, may be not much time, but for now we are incomparably better. It is just a matter of how well we choose to learn/use the language - and how good a language processor we have in our head of course (this varies a lot between individuals).

Of course there are such tasks but in my thinking they are what my code will have to do, not a job for the compiler. I am the one who creates the code, not the compiler. Leaving to it to choose the algorithm would simply mean I am not programming, just using the machine. Which I would gladly do of course were it good enough to do what I want; so far it is not.

What I did when I had to port my code from 68k to power was to create VPA. It can be done for any register model, just a matter of compilation. It would be a pain to do it for a machine with fewer than 32 GP registers but it can be done - yet I see no reason why, load/store machines are ruling at the moment and 16- registers are just to few for a load/store machine to be viable for me to bother with (e.g. ARM), it is fundamentally limited in a way similar to x86. Why should I spend years of my life on getting used to drive a car withe the handbrake on by design.

With VPA you would find a whole new world of that :-). Over the years I have added functionality which allows you to do a lot more than normal macros allow in assemblers. E.g. when I needed an assembler for the HC11 some 15 years ago under DPS I just wrote a macro file which did it - and that was on the predecessor of VPA, things have grown significantly since. Add to that the ability to have shell-script lines within your source - with multidimensional variables, local and global (multidimensional here meaning a variable name can be made up of variables) and you have quite a tool - I have not wished to improve it for years now.

Dimiter

------------------------------------------------------ Dimiter Popoff, TGI

Dimiter_Popoff

I have managed to avoid most of such tools - although I do have a few old compilers which need a bit more care in use. But small updates (assuming they don't bring in /new/ bugs) are not so much of a problem - what I always avoid is bigger upgrades or changes in tools. Most of the problems are caused by features that are not part of standardised C, such as subtle changes to part-specific header files or extensions to support interrupt functions.

With FOSS tools, if you work on the problem yourself it is often easy to get the main developers to work with you and get a quick resolution. But generally, the speed of bug fixes doesn't have any correlation with the price of the tools - I have seen fast and slow fixes in both free and expensive tools.

Yes, this is all part of the process and the balance between customers and speed and reliability of development. I find that a fair amount of my code is project-specific, and code flexibility and maintainability doesn't matter much - but other parts are more general. There is never just one answer to these things.

Reply to
David Brown

The "at compile time" caveat is extremely important w.r.t. C/C++ programming. There are many things the compiler cannot safely deduce due to the language definition. A well-known example of that is the pessimism that the compiler must introduce w.r.t. the possibility of pointer aliasing. That is especially acute wit separate compilation units produced by different companies and delivered in the form of object code libraries. That, of course, leads to the myriad of compiler flags which are at least as important as the code itself.

Fortran is, according to those that have far more hard-won experience than myself, much less susceptible to that than C/C++ and so produces correspondingly tighter code.

Even Java has an advantage: its HotSpot optimisation detects the what the code is actually doing on each different machine. Similar techniques when applied to C code have also resulted in surprisingly good performance improvements; google for "HP Dynamo" for hard information.

Reply to
Tom Gardner

To be clear, this isn't anywhere near the problem it was (for me) years ago. Compilers (and the environments in which they execute) have matured considerably.

But, each time a tool is revised, at the very least, all the regression tests need to run -- again. (This can be A Good Thing as it can draw attention to non-portable behaviors that you may have let creep into the codebase).

This can be treacherous with clients who naively think "a compiler is a compiler is a compiler". E.g., naively applying a new compiler to an old code base and wondering why the performance changes, etc.

I formally "left" MS's tools because of this with an early C++ compiler. ("We no longer support that product -- but, you are entitled to a FREE upgrade to our NEW PRODUCT")

I religiously avoid all compiler-specific "extensions". Even ASM interfaces I accommodate *in* the ASM sources and not directly in the "C" sources. (e.g., not using "asm()")

It's not directly an issue of "speed". Rather, one of *control*. Neither "vendor" is likely to give you a definite commitment as to when (if) the bug will be fixed. It may be "too involved" to receive attention, *now*. Or, it may get rolled into a release that makes other, "significant" changes to the compiler (while

*I* could potentially isolate JUST that portion and apply it to my sources -- creating my own "unsupported release"). Or, it may be too trivial to push out a new release, etc.

In my case, I look at development time as "hours of my life" and am not real keen on *repeating* those efforts. When I planted the first citrus tree, here, I dug a hole 4'x4'x4' (we have lousy soil). It was an "interesting" (though not "exciting") experience. The second and third holes (and, later, fourth, fifth and sixth) were just *chores*!

"What makes you think I *want* to do this, AGAIN?"

Reply to
Don Y

Actually there was/is a 2-level grammar for Algol-60. It was eschewed by the committee because too many of them felt that they didn't understand it well enough to implement it. It can be found buried in the preliminary reports.

Secondly, even Algol-68 itself didn't directly use the Van Wijngaarden grammar. Instead it used a simpler derivative called NEST. NEST was developed from the vW grammar, again because the vW grammar was considered too complex to be understood by implementers. You can see the vW grammar in the original 68 report and the NEST grammar in the revised report. [If you compare the vW and NEST, it's clear that they are equivalent, but the NEST is far more verbose. vW is Turing complete, NEST is not ... the reason NEST was even possible was that the Turing power of vW wasn't needed.]

WRT differences between 68 and 60: their relationship is similar to that of C++ to C. Just as C++ has 99.44% of C at its core, 68 has most of 60 at its core. In idiomatic usage, 68 and 60 actually were closer than C++ and C.

I had to think about that for a while, but you're right ... it does resemble a declarative rule system.

Yes, and there are several different forms of attribute grammars. However, so far as I have seen, _workable_ attribute grammars are not declarative but consist of operationally defined processing grafted onto the declarative (E)BNF.

There are a handful of academic attempts at declarative attribute grammars, but so far as I know, nobody other than their creators has ever used them in anger.

You can make the case that vW grammars are attribute grammars taken to the extreme, but the arguments I have heard I think are strained. To me, there is a vast difference between the declarative vW grammars and the operational attribute grammars I have seen.

Yes.

Per se it really has nothing to do with aiding programmers, though the hope is that such help would fall out naturally as a side effect. The goal is a formalism that can define both syntax and semantics together. In current practice much of the semantics tend to be defined operationally by code and described by natural language supplemented by examples.

There aren't many languages which have solid denotational definitions: Scheme, ML, Haskell and Prolog are the only ones I can think of offhand [and Prolog's was written *after* it was implemented]. No doubt there are others I am unaware of, however the vast majority of languages are defined by implementation. It's really quite rare to have a denotational (or even a simpler axiomatic) definition of the language's semantics.

George

Reply to
George Neuner

Thanks, I didn't know that. My impression is that even the use of BNF for Algol 60 was felt by many to be new and strange, with its recursive syntactical productions. I believe that the Fortran specification did not use BNF at that time.

I agree that most of Algol 60 is in Algol 68, but IMO much more was added and changed in moving from 60 to 68 than in moving from C to C++. Algol 60 did not even have struct/record types... But comparisons are of course subjective.

--
Niklas Holsti
Tidorum Ltd

Since much of my code is project-specific, and I don't change compilers within a project, I don't mind using compiler-specific extensions /if/ they add significant value to the code. In particular, I use gcc on most of my targets, or compilers (such as CodeWarrior) that support many gcc extensions - so to me, such gcc extensions are another tool in the toolbox. I won't use an extension unless it is actually /useful/, but some of them can be helpful, such as the "typeof" operator, arrays of zero length, case ranges, and some of the function and type attributes. Where these are hints rather than requirements, such as adding a "const" attribute to a function, I do this via a macro - on gcc, the macro will generate the "const" attribute and lead to extra static checks and possibly tighter object code. On non-gcc compilers, the macro dissolves to nothing and everything continues to work.

On smaller micros in particular, there are often target-specific compiler extensions for handing things like data in flash, interrupts, etc. You can't avoid having at least some of that when coding for something like the AVR - you treat it just as you would treat using a specific library or header for the micro.

Regarding assembly, I actually prefer to have any assembly as inline assembly in C, rather than separate assembly files. I find it keeps my source cleaner and neater. If I need the assembly as a way of accessing special processor features (interrupt enable/disable, memory barriers, cache control, etc.), then inline assembly is much more efficient than external assembly sources. I seldom need large pieces of assembly outside of that - perhaps just a little startup code. I'll write that in C whenever possible, and use inline assembly inside a dummy C function when required.

Tastes and styles for that sort of thing vary, of course - I don't expect everyone to do it the way I do it.

Fair enough.

Reply to
David Brown

One of my advisors was looking into ways to marry knowledgebases to (e.g.) DBMS's to make for more efficient (query, in the DBMS case) processing. E.g., instead of looking for "pregnant patients", look for *females* that are pregnant (drawing in the qualification from the knowledgebase: only females get pregnant)

And, the preprocessor often can't do "text processing" well (or at all)

With a good macro processor, it's relatively easy to cobble together ASL's that you can intuitively embed in-line in your source -- without having to push it out to another file and write a parser to recognize what you've created.

This allows you to trade run-time efficiency for algorithm clarity. E.g., each of the above examples are much clearer (and easier to maintain) than the bytecodes that they generate!

Reply to
Don Y

The last comment is the kicker -- if you're coding for your eyes only, you can do things a lot different than if others will have to view, maintain or enhance your codebase.

When I was in school, one of the mantras was to make no (costly) optimization if it didn't give you a 2x performance increase (size, speed, etc.). The thinking was that you could get this "for free" by just taking a long coffee break and waiting for the technology to advance to that level (a naive idea -- but, it acknowledges that the sorts of optimizations that you make "manually" *do* take time... and, technology is advancing while you're optimizing!).

What was NOT said was that some optimizations are far more productive than others. Granted, if your algorithm isn't fast enough to execute in the time allotted, you've got a problem. Or, if it requires more memory than you have available. But, each of those things can be improved upon by technology (or, "small dollars").

The thing that technology is lousy at is "enhancing wetware" -- programmers don't inherently get "twice as productive" each year or two. They can't write twice as much debugged code or comprehend twice as many lines per unit time.

So, you want the tools that they use to *express* their ideas to become more productive. And, to do so in a way that allows *others* to readily understand what they are trying to say.

Most people can't come up with the "optimal" way of evaluating an arbitrary expression -- given the opcodes available in the *particular* target. (I've seen some cleaver uses of LEA to implement simple expression calculations in a single instruction). Or, if they *can*, the next pair of eyes ends up relying on the *commentary* to understand the operation being performed (and, as such, won't notice a bug in it!).

These sorts of things are where an optimizing compiler can excel. WITHOUT burdening the original author or anyone reading the code at a later date.

Some folks are good at arithmetic. Do you try to train *everyone* to be equally good at this? Or, do you provide *calculators* to rid them of the tedium of doing the math "manually"? (and, get greater confidence in their results, in the process)

But the same argument could then be applied to *any* technology. Why not code everything in LISP? Any machine that is too slow or has too little memory is suddenly "not worthy"?

The advantage that HLLs have is one of portability across a wide range of targets, applications and DEVELOPERS.

What I want most in sources now is the ability to include better commentary -- multimedia files, interactive demos, etc. I.e., things that assist the developer/maintainer, not the "executable"

Reply to
Don Y

But programmers should at least target not being the bottleneck any more. It's a nicer way to do business and makes your life much more pleasant.

--
Les Cargill
Reply to

I do most of my designs with reuse in mind. Always striving to build abstractions that I can later port to other projects (clients). The "top level, application specific" nature of the project thus being minimized -- something that I can encode in an FSM, etc. with a bit of tweaking around the edges.

[Why write a DPLL from scratch each time you need one? Or, a PID loop? Or...]

In-lining ASM really only makes sense (for me) for clauses that are stand-alone and known to have no consequence on the balance of the execution environment. E.g., disabling interrupts.

It also makes it tedious to interface ASM routines to the in-lined ASM code. So, you risk having to write two versions of the same routine: one in the HLL and the other in ASM.

These practices have allowed me to borrow DEBUGGED code from arbitrary points throughout my development history and leverage them into existing products with minimal risk of introducing errors into the code *or* the test suite.

[As I said in previous post: "What makes you think I *want* to do this, AGAIN?" :> ]

In hindsight, I would have done much of this in a more templatized fashion. But, using features from the future is a bit problematic in the past! :>

Ever get called to make a patch to something you did 20+ years ago? (lesson belatedly learned: limit extent of support services in all contracts!) Do you *really* want to run it through a 20 year *newer* compiler and deal with recertifying the entire product? :(

[This is why it was also important for me to keep old development *environments* available. *So* much easier than trying to figure out how to make an old tool run on a newer OS!]
Reply to
Don Y