IR remote control decoder IC

Is there an IC that takes the output from an IR receiver module (e.g. Vishay TSOP11xx) and decodes it, outputting the data bits via SPI/I2C? (signal format is RC5). I've Googled for a while and haven't found anything yet.

I guess I could code up a small PIC to do the job, for instance, and that would be an interesting project, but unfortunately time is tight (familiar?!) and this is very much aside to the main work. So if there is an off-the-shelf solution, or one that came close, it would be very welcome.

Many thanks,

Jim

Reply to
Jim

Vishay

an

I had a similar problem earlier this year but couldn't find a suitable chip and I ended up using, as you suggest a small PIC. There are various PIC based RC5 decoders if you google for them

Andrew

Reply to
Andrew Jackson

I have used this one in the past (parallel out):

But as you can see, it has been discontinued. Maybe there are still simular chips available. Or if it's a one-off product, you may be able to still get one somewhere.

I think most TV's now use this approach, probably the reason why the above chip is discontinued. I guess if you google for it, you can find ready to go code for a PIC or AVR that does the job.

--
Stef
Reply to

A PIC will be the smallest and cheapest solution - I doubt you will find a ready-made chip as pretty much every type of consumer product that uses IR will have a micro, which is capable of doing the decoding.

Reply to
Mike Harrison

This functionality usually (these days) is integrated into system controller ICs for consumer electronics. The only separate decoders I've found are all microcontrollers being sold as dedicated decoders. And they're EXPENSIVE. Try Celadon, for instance.

Reply to
Lewin A.R.W. Edwards

Vishay

Many thanks for your informed answers. I'll go the 8-pin PIC route with some code from the web. Unfortunately my main uP is stretched as it is, otherwise I can see that I should be doing the decoding on it, as has been suggested.

James

Reply to
Jim

Vishay

an

AVR App Note 410 Describes an RC-5 decoder using an AVR

Best Regards
Ulf at atmel dot com
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Ulf Samuelsson

Thanks Ulf. That the most straight-forward explanation of RC-5 decoding I've seen. Pretty simple isn't it? ;)

Jim

Reply to
Jim

I've

Does not seem so hard to do. I did take a closer look at the stuff, and doing it with a timer capture register would probably do as well.