Installing Quartus-II software on Ubuntu Linux

Hi, Can anyone point me to some straightforward info re the above? The Altera site installation pages aren't particularly clear, and none of the links in the forums actually get me to anything useful, it's mostly comments saying how awful the process is. TIA

Reply to
Bruce Varley

it must be installed from within bash. the regular Ubuntu dash replacement = although faster will not handle files in excess of 2GB. as soon as the inst= aller has verified the file, it's all graphical. The buttons for next do no= t fit onto certain netbooks, so a bit of tab wisdom is needed.

Reply to
jacko

./filename to extract from current directory you cd to.

it unpacks to the directory it's in to do a verification so have at least 6GB free there.

It takes 5.1 GB free in the eventual install location.

If you get colours when doing ls from the shell you are in dash.

Reply to
jacko

Colours are no indication of your shell - I use bash, with colours.

But you are right about dash being the most common shell in Ubuntu. The easiest way to make sure you are running bash for a job like this, is simply to type "bash" - then do your install inside this shell.

Reply to
David Brown

you will have to have execute permissions set on the file also.

Have not installed byteblaster or Usb blaster support yet, so not sure how easy or hard this is, and not sure if a usb to parallel port adapter will work either.

version 9.1 windows under wine works for the front end but fails with a tcl error when compiling vhdl. which is why I installed the 10 under linux native.

Reply to
jacko

nts

I have done it (9.1, 10.0 & 10.1), and I remember it being just as easy as installing any other program - no pain whatsoever.

1: Extract the file from Altera to a (temp) directory. 2: Execute the setup script from that directory (use sudo if installing to /opt). 3: Answer a few questions when prompted.

Getting the USB blaster working takes a little effort; all of their scripts reference a deprecated USB I/O structure. Several solutions are in the wiki.

RK

Reply to
NeedCleverHandle

Thanks everyone. Most helpful.

Reply to
Bruce Varley

Note that if you run a script which starts with the bang notation: #!/bin/sh it will launch dash, as /bin/sh is a link to /bin/dash on Ubuntu. Some users replace this link with a link to bash instead.

//Petter

--
.sig removed by request.
Reply to

That can certainly happen - but only if the script is badly written. If a script requires certain functionality from its shell, it should use the appropriate shell in the #! line. You only use #!/bin/sh if you are happy with any posix-sh compliant shell - including dash.

But of course, there's always the possibility that the script writer doesn't know that...

mvh.,

David

Reply to
David Brown

should not 'bash script' execute a script within bash with the #! having an effect, as #! is a system feature to find the shell to use?

Reply to
jacko

effect, as #! is a system feature to find the shell to use?

Correct.

Reply to
Arlet Ottens

#! is not a feature to find the shell to use - you specify the shell you want in the #! line.

Is there any way you could get a proper newsreader, or at least correct your settings for google groups (assuming that's what you use)? You seem to make knowledgeable and potentially useful posts in a number of groups, but because your posts don't track references properly, and you don't include any quoted context, it is extremely difficult to follow you. No one knows what or whom you are replying to.

Thanks,

David

Reply to
David Brown

which I interpret as it not being fully POSIX compliant. I have seen issues with this in the past and had sufficient amount of problems which caused me to abandon dash completely as a POSIX compliant shell.

But as I said it might be history. However, somebody should have updated Wikipedia if that was the case.

//Petter

--
.sig removed by request.
Reply to

I should rephrase that as: The problems is that dash is not POSIX compliant. I think that still is the case.

//Petter

--
.sig removed by request.
Reply to