Info From A Lead Acid Battery On An Engine?

I am developing a system that is powered from a 12V or 24V lead acid battery configuration on an industrial engine. These are the same lead acid batteries used in vehicles. The batteries or battery will always be charged by an alternator running off of the engine.

Is it possible to get a run signal just from the battery? The PIC24F microcontroller being used needs to be able to tell if the engine is on or off. If could monitor the engine operation(on or off) from the power source, I wouldn't need an additional device to monitor this(oil pressure switch).

Reply to
eeboarder

You should be able to base it on the voltage. During charging the voltage should be in the 14 (28) volt range. When the engine is not running the voltage should be no more than the max charged voltage. I can not remember the full charge voltage off the top of my head, but it should be easy to find. The only way to charge the battery to full is to exceed that voltage.

Scott

Reply to
Not Really Me

--- and expect the indication to be a lot less reliable than a spark signal, oil pressure, crankshaft once-around signal, or other signal that happens as a direct consequence of the crankshaft turning.

--
www.wescottdesign.com
Reply to

I think they usually design for a 13.8V charching voltage once the battery is fully charged. If the battery has been run down a ways, it might be lower.

It's around 12.6-12.8V.

He'd probably be better off measuring the direction of current flow in the cable to the battery terminal, but sensing it without a shunt resistor will require some sort of inductive sensor.

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow! BARBARA STANWYCK makes
                                  at               me nervous!!

Yes.

There should also be a lot of RF noise coming from the alternator when it is running.

IIRC: The nominal battery voltage SB 12.6. Float charge is something in the mid 13s. Charging voltage is usually 14+, all for a 12V system. IIRC :-)

--
ArarghMail908 at [drop the 'http://www.' from ->] http://www.arargh.com
BCET Basic Compiler Page: http://www.arargh.com/basic/index.html

To reply by email, remove the extra stuff from the reply address.
Reply to
ArarghMail908NOSPAM

I'm certainly no expert but it seems to me that it should be possible to monitor the power supply voltage for the presence of some characteristic motor noise that would be absent when the motor isn't running. On the other hand, my proposal might lead you to an overblown and unreliable solution but it might be worth a look.

JJS

Reply to
John Speth

I am developing a system that is powered from a 12V or 24V lead acid battery configuration on an industrial engine. These are the same lead acid batteries used in vehicles. The batteries or battery will always be charged by an alternator running off of the engine.

Is it possible to get a run signal just from the battery? The PIC24F microcontroller being used needs to be able to tell if the engine is on or off. If could monitor the engine operation(on or off) from the power source, I wouldn't need an additional device to monitor this(oil pressure switch).

Reply to
eeboarder

Yes and No. It depends on the particular engine assembly.

The alternator generates the AC ripples which can be seen at the battery terminals. You can even get the engine RPM by that ripples. However this behaviour is stongly dependent on the particular engine and the associated electrics, and this method won't work at all for some engines. So, if your goal is a mass production device, I won't count on it.

Vladimir Vassilevsky

acid

rged

or

re

t.

Hmmm....maybe use the exciter circuit thru a bridge on-board and detect when the voltage is equalized or , as someone said, perhaps detect the change in current flow to/from the battery. have to create a rectifier circuit that indicates the change in current flow, but it could be built into your on-board power supply I guess.

I dunno if I made myself clear! hah!

Carl

Reply to
1 Lucky Texan

Use the signals available on the CAN bus that describe the situation in which you are interested?

Reply to
Phil O. Sopher

This isn't 100% reliable either since the current flow depends on the engine RPM, the amount of electric load, the temperature and the charging state of the battery. In our days it is all controlled by the MCUs, so you can't take anything for granted.

Vladimir Vassilevsky

I am developing a system that is powered from a 12V or 24V lead acid battery configuration on an industrial engine. These are the same lead acid batteries used in vehicles. The batteries or battery will always be charged by an alternator running off of the engine.

Is it possible to get a run signal just from the battery? The PIC24F microcontroller being used needs to be able to tell if the engine is on or off. If could monitor the engine operation(on or off) from the power source, I wouldn't need an additional device to monitor this(oil pressure switch).

Reply to
eeboarder

Very true, depends on what reliability you need and what connections you have or can make. The battery voltage has the advantage that you are already connected to it.

Scott

Reply to
Not Really Me

Assuming the feed you are getting is from a very close point to the battery or alternator, not via a 6ft or longer feed, via in line fuses.

Some kindly sole may even put a suppression caps or line choke on your feed somewhere. At start or later modification as people have habits of cleaning DC supplies on motors over time in many places.

All of which is just some of the many ways you may not be able to rely on it being what you think always.

    PC Services
 Timing Diagram Font
  GNU H8 - compiler & Renesas H8/H8S/H8 Tiny
 For those web sites you hate
Reply to
Paul Carpenter

I would be concerned about the reliability of that approach. Will the alternator disconnect for an over-voltage condition? Someone else mentioned a low-voltage condition when charging a discharged battery.

I measured the AC riding on my car battery with my Radio Shack meter. It indicated 6 to 11 mV during idle -- I thought there would be more, but there might be enough hash to detect. Would the sampling be shielded enough from other, non-motor, noises to work reliably?

--
Thad
Reply to