inexpensive operator interface (mini-terminal)

I'm trying to locate something for a customer to connect to one of our SBC's.

Why can't I find an inexpensive operator interface? You know, something like a mini-terminal with RS-232.

A squared away design where you can cut out a rectangiular hole and drill 4 mounting holes and put it on a panel inside a NEMA box or something. Not pretty, but inexpensive and useful.

(Not some PIC project, I have found most of them. I have also found all the so called inexpensive PLC oriented ones for $500. Not those either.)

--
Gary Peek                mailto:mylastname@mycompanyname.com
Industrologic, Inc.      http://www.industrologic.com

How about

HTH,

-=Dave

--
Change is inevitable, progress is not.
Reply to

Sorry to followup my own post, but I forgot to clarify: I haven't used any of these, and have no connection whatever with either company. They just look like interesting parts.

Regards,

-=Dave

--
Change is inevitable, progress is not.
Reply to
Dave Hansen

How about a PDA? I used to use a Newton for this sort of thing, which had RS232 built in, but you can probably get a palm pilot for $100, write or contract the interface program, and mount it without too much trouble. This way, you could have a nice, customized touch pad display for your widget.

Actually, this isn't a bad product idea, for those who have the channel to get it out there. Licensing the guts and OS from palm or whomever is probably not a big deal, since they would make most of the money.

--
Regards,
  Bob Monsen
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Bob Monsen

Not enough demand, off the shelf PDA's/small laptops could be adapted to do what you want.

Reply to
joep

The local home improvement big box has a "inventory control" system that uses a Palm Pilot for the input device. It is mounted inside the enclosure, but if you look, just right, you can see the unit. I have seen ads in one of the trades where some Asian company has a Palm Pilot rip off that is basically a PDA with none of the OS goodies installed, along with some development tools to get it going, if I stumble across the ad again I'll post a link here.

Jim

Reply to
James Beck
[...]

Which PDAs have still a serial interface?

Palm "Zire" don't:

(20418)

"Please note that Palm Zire Handhelds DO NOT support serial (cabled) connections to the computer."

What a pity.

Oliver

--
Oliver Betz, Muenchen (oliverbetz.de)
Reply to

I have used Two Technologies a few years back and remember the smaller units to be reasonable.

Randy Haas

Reply to
randallchaas