IDE Hardrive Interface for a 68030 based custom system questions

Hello !

The company I work for have decided to can their old SCII interface and start using IDE instead. First question. Which is easier to interface ? Does anyone know a good place where I can find some info about this ? What Chips where used back in the old Machintosh days (68030) in the IDE interfaces ?

Help is greatly appreciated

/Otto Blomqvist

Reply to
Otto Blomqvist

Really old Macs used Zilog 8-bit SCSI interfaces. I'm pretty sure this statement covers most of the 68K Macs. I think some of the later 040 models may have had NCR chips. Once they moved from NuBus to PCI, they started using Adaptec IIRC.

Reply to
Lewin A.R.W. Edwards

You must be kidding. IDE is *far* simpler, almost trivial.

I'd read the ATA-5 spec. of which a copy can be found at the

With decent chip select control you should be able the '030 directly to the IDE bus for PIO mode. DMA mode may not be possible without a support chip.

Reply to
Mark A. Odell

I just realized that I didn't actually answer your QUESTION. Grrr. The oldest Macs I have around the office run the IDE bus into a VLSI part with a custom Apple part number.

Reply to
Lewin A.R.W. Edwards