Help with communication between PC and 68HC11 board

Hi to all:

I'm just getting back into this stuff. I built and got working a

68HC11 board. I have two processors: a 68hc11A1FN and the 68HC11E2F
Reply to
mathtutoring

Hi to all:

I'm just getting back into this stuff. I built and had working a

68HC11 board. I have two processors: a 68hc11A1FN and the 68HC11E2FN. I take and replace each when I want to use a particular one.

I had this thing working like a champ about 1 year ago, put it down, and can't get it to communicate with the PC. I know the chip is working because I programmed the E2FN and upon a reset, it blinks and LED on and off.

When I first tried to get this working, it took quite a while before someone had me do something with PCBUG... I remember there was something that I had to type after PCBUG at the DOS prompt, but can't remember it for the life of me.

I've tried about everything. I've tried different baud rates, parity settings, xon/xoff, through the hyperterminal. I've also tried PCBUG and can't get it working. Right now I'm using CGN-1001 232 board. Thanks for all the assistance.

Art

Reply to
mathtutoring

It's been a while but here is how I remember it. There are two pins on the HC11, MDA and MDB that have to be in the correct state when the chip comes out of reset. These pins put the chip in the special test mode that enables the internal boot rom, which has a built in downloader. Then you start PCBUG and when it asks if the talker is installed you say no. PCBUG then downloads its stub via the builtin boot loader and you are good to go. The key is to have MDA and MDB in the correct state to start the built-in loader. I've used just this setup on both the A and E version of the HC11. Hope this helps.

Dave Rooney

Reply to
Dave Rooney

I downloaded PCBUG11A and still can't get the thing to start.

When I put the logic probe on TX and RX on my DB-9 cable, it pulses (without the cable being connected to the 68hc11 board).

What I touch the reset button on the board, TXD pulses from high to low to high. RX does not change. This is frustrating, as I had the board working before with the same PC. I just forgot what I did to get it working.

Any ideas? What should I follow PCBUG11A with to download the correct talker for the 68hc11A1FN? What baud rate, parity, stop bits, and control should I have this set to? The comm ship on the board is a SIPEX 232ACP. That and the processor are about the only thing on the board. I've checked the power supply. It's 5.08 at the processor. Thanks for the help,

Art

Reply to
mathtutoring

I'm getting a runtime error while using PCBUG11A:

Runtime error 200 at 20FF:0091

Thanks for the help,

Art

Reply to
mathtutoring

Congratulations, your latest PC is now too fast for this ancient program written in Borland/Turbo Pascal. Google for "runtime error

200 delay bug" will tell you the rest of this story, and point to solutions.
Hans-Bernhard Broeker

Downloaded a couple patch files from the sites, but still wouldn't work. I saw a post that someone mentioned disabling CPU cache, but I can't seem to do that through my HP 523n bios.

Any other thoughts?

Thanks,

Art

Reply to
mathtutoring

I would recomend giving noice11 a go.

It will cost you, but unless you are running plain MSDOS it is a pain to do RS-232 with windows.

Reply to
???

I've tried just about everything, and can't seem to patch pcbug to get it to work. Any other suggestions?

Thanks much,

Art

Reply to
mathtutoring

My *nix-based DB11 might be an option for you. The Windows port is incomplete, but if you need it, I can tell you where to look - I did intend (and start) to port it.

Clifford Heath.

Reply to
Clifford Heath

Hi Clifford:

I'll take any help that I can get.

By the way, I'm running the HP Pavillion 523N AMD 2200.

When I reboot the PC, it sends a pulse on comm1 and sends the 68hc11 into the program that is in eeprom. I can tell, as the last time I worked with it on my old computer, I wrote a little program to pulse an led on the board. When I run PCBUG11A or other versions of PCBUG11, I can't see a pulse with my logic probe, and I've gone into the device manager and monkeyed around with the COMM 1 settings, baud rate, you name it..Even though it is suppose to be "too fast" for pcbug, it would seem to me that I would at least see a pulse when I ran the program.

What is *nix-based DB11? I'll take it...Could you give me a little assistance with it?

Thanks,

Art

Reply to
mathtutoring

I can't help with PCBUG11, I've never used it. But DB11 is a command-line equivalent that I wrote, which works on Unix, Linux, etc (hence *nix). Find the source code at .

Clifford Heath.

Reply to
Clifford Heath