Good MCU for video play back

I am wondering which of MCU would work to best for video play back on two screens. I already have basic experience with PIC, AVR, and ARM MCUs; however, I have never used LCDs with them so I don't know how well each of them will work. If anyone has any advice on the matter I would be very happy to hear it.

Thanks

Colten141

It depends on the video format. In the real world, ASSPs or ASICs are used for these sorts of applications (MPEG etc) - they often have an ARM or MIPS core, and special hardware to accelerate video decode. You won't be able to get your paws on those chips, though, the NDAs are onerous.

As a data point for you, I decoded a 320x240 MPEG-1 stream (no audio) at about 12fps on a 74MHz ARM7. That did not include colorspace conversion, it was a straight decode of the compressed stream to YUV and display of the luminance channel onscreen. It also wasn't optimized - I just pulled the code out of mplayer and massaged it vigorously to fit the application. On a more modern frisky ARM9 you'll be able to do it realtime with audio, no problem. It won't be efficient compared to the ASSP solution, but it will work.

If you don't want to jump up to that sort of large hardware, look at other video formats like AMV, which are much less stressful to decode.

Reply to
larwe

Unless you are doing postage stamps, you can rule out PIC and AVR. ARM can goes up to 2GHz and beyond.

Reply to
linnix

Il 01/03/2011 19:23, Colten141 ha scritto:

at91sam9m10 seems ok; it has an hardware video decoder (h264, mpeg4 and mpeg2) and color conversion. Atmel provides also a "software package" which contains lots of project for keil, iar and gnu, useful if you don't want to use wince or linux.

ded1549REMOVEME