Endianness does not apply to byte

rather strangely i intend the 8 to 16 bit bus interface to load low significant (high) byte first so ALU can calc low sum first.

cheers

jacko

If it's switchable, which is the "natural" endiness?

Reply to
Everett M. Greene

Nope. They come from India. I've just read in an Indian guy resume about Big-Indian and Little-Indian

Reply to
Adrian

Since it's an architectural property (user model), it depends on the switch.

Reply to
toby

The endianness that's compatible with existing software. The little-endian mode in many PowerPCs is a bit strange, since it just manipulates address bits, which is a bit confusing. Ie, it's more of a data conversion convenience than an inherent state of operation. So big-endian is thus the natural ordering. Later processors support "true little-endian", but unless there's a good reason to use it, big-endian ends up the default for compatiblity.

I suspect that CPUs that could work either way from the very first model wouldn't have a "natural" endianness.

-- Darin Johnson

Reply to
Darin Johnson