Embedded USB. Do I have to get my own product and vendor ID?

I'm thinking of implementing an USB port for a commercial embedded product.

Do I have to get my own product and vendor ID (it costs $2000 to get it)?

I'm thinking of using a PIC24F MCU with integrated USB.

I'm going to use the USB as a virtual COM port.

Is there a generic product and vendor ID that is free to use for this purpose?

Reply to
Mark

I think (?) Microchip sub-license PIDs (Product ID) on their own VID (Vendor ID). Probably a much cheaper option than buying your own VID.

--
Regards,
Richard.

+ http://www.FreeRTOS.org & http://www.FreeRTOS.org/shop
17 official architecture ports, more than 6000 downloads per month.

+ http://www.SafeRTOS.com
Certified by TÜV as meeting the requirements for safety related systems.
Reply to
FreeRTOS.org

Why not use an FT232R for the USB 232 glue? It's cheap, has drivers for Windows, MAC, and Linux, and frees you to use pretty much any uC.

--
Rich Webb     Norfolk, VA
Reply to

Thank you. I found this at microchip:

Microchip does have a sublicensing program for its VID. Please visit

under Support and Training for more information about how to obtain a PID with Microchip's VID.

:-)

Reply to
Mark

*-make-one-up+buy-*-*-PIDs-from-this-guy-*+zz-zz+*-official-way+cheaper.alternative+pay.the.USB.folks.a.lot.of.money+*-*-for-limited-distribution+*-*-vendor-and-product-IDs

*-USB-Vendor-ID+mecanique.co.uk

JeffM