DVD-R, DVD+R, which is preferred?

Ok, more and more engineers are asking me to supply this or that on DVD. So, the new computer that's coming can write these. Went to Costco to get a stack of DVD and here was the puzzler: They had both DVD-R and DVD+R, same price. I herewith openly confess that I had no clue. We don't even have a DVD player at home but I guess that excuse ain't good enough.

The new computer will be able to write both. Which one is the preferred format?

Google resulted in very mixed opinions, mostly that +R has less write errors but that -R is more compatible. Much of my material will be drawings, ultrasound images and so on. It must run on other computers including older models but also on DVD players in conference rooms. My hunch is that -R would be better because it seems to be the older standard (1997 or so) but I am not sure.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com
Reply to
Joerg

Sorry guys, cross posted into the wrong groups. Will post again, should have gone to sci.electronics.design and comp.arch.embedded.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com
Reply to
Joerg

The main differences are when you use the Read-Writable. If you use DVD+RW you can use drag and drop and erase single files. It is not possible with DVD-RW. If you provide DVD+RW, then the disk is useful for other things but you risk having your contact overwrite the info.

Since I have a DVD Video as well, DVD+ was an easy choice.

--
Best Regards,
Ulf Samuelsson

Thanks, Ulf. I think the disks sold at Costco were not re-writeable. I am more concerned with compatibility. Usually when I handed CDs to clients they were never written to again but afterwards just filed away for future reference. For example, after finishing a design. This was the same with floppies in the old days. In medical electronics you have to keep a design history are usually not allowed to edit submitted material.

The typical design ends with a batch of files on the hard drive, often along with some images. That is then all transferred to the CD or in the future a DVD.

Happy New Year, hope it's not too cold up there in Scandinavia.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com
Reply to
Joerg

But they seem to be quite expensive. $0,58 / disk (16x) in 50 pack.

At

you can get 100, inkjet printable, 16x for $0,37 per disk. Cheapest are $0,25/disk. You have until midnight to order their 600 pack DVD-R for $102.

Global warming will give us a Central European/Mediterranian climate so we are fine. Just returned from the New Years celebration (8'C in Stockholm today and no snow) so I wish a Happy New Year to you other suckers which will get the Sahara climate ;-)

--
Best Regards,
Ulf Samuelsson

600? Wow. Well, I don't want to open a clandestine DVD shop ;-)

All I need is a few, maybe 10 to 20. There is an article mentioned by Gene Berkowitz on another post and this one cautions against some of the cheaper brands:

No global warming here in Northern California. Every winter we seem to need a little bit more firewood than the one before. It's especially the nights that have become consistently cold with more freeze warnings than we ever heard before. Older people around here told us they used to get by with 1-2 cords of hardwood such as oak. Depending on how this winter develops I might be tempted to buy five cords next year. Now wait, it is almost next year.