Datakey silicon inside

Hi folks-

Does anybody know what memory devices are embedded in the Datakey memory tokens?

For example, this part:

which is from datakey.com.

I'm pretty sure these devices are just embedded serial EEPROMs but Datakey doesn't reveal the part inside.

Thanks - John

Reply to
John Speth

They say it's an SPI EEPROM, and the interface exposes the usual set of signals. Why wouldn't you believe them? I mean it's possible they have some sort of SPI interface device and some other sort of ROM behind that, but if they do, it'll still look like an SPI EEPROM to you.

Reply to
Robert Wessel

I want to replicate the token in a new circuit design that embeds a token within. I need to know the exact EEPROM part number so I don't have to embed the whole datakey token. My plan has size and cost advantages.

You could be right about extra chips inside but the data sheets don't give any hints about any additional chips. The interface specs are suspiciously similar to the famous 25LC320A EEPROM but there are enough differences that excludes the 25LC320A.

John

Reply to
John Speth

Is the 25LC320A customizable? Could they be buyin' and bashin'?

Alternately (and horribly, from your point of view), could they have enough business that they buy semi-custom parts?

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

looks rather like it's a standard SOIC-8 part on a PCB. It could be 'artist's concept' or CGI or something, but it seems like there's nothing smart inside. I rather doubt they would be fabbing their own EEPROM chips - they don't advertise anything special about them beyond the plastic case.

Theo

Reply to
Theo Markettos

It's like you're reading my mind, Tim. It's a risk.

JJS

Reply to
John Speth

I have information from a trusted source that the part inside is a single off-the-shelf Atmel AT25256B SPI EEPROM.

JJS

Reply to
John Speth