Cortex M3 realworld wakeup times and power consumption

Hi,

I am looking at using a Cortex M3 based mcu for an application requiring a very fast wakeup time and low power during that sleep mode.

Is it possible for the M3 to wake up in less than 300us given that whatever sleep mode it is in has to draw less than 300uA?

thanks,

Mike.

Reply to
MealMan401

Yes, it is. SMT32 series has 2 power down modes. In STANDBY mode in consumes 2uA (typ.) and wakes up in less than 2uS. In STOP mode in consumes 14uA (typ.) and wakes up in less than 40uS.

Regards, ~ Ale?

Reply to
Aleš Svetek

Actually it is STM32, not SMT32. You can find more info about low-power modes of this series on ST web site. Look for application note AN2629.

~ Ale?

Reply to
Aleš Svetek

I believe STM is releasing a low power version (STM32L) next year with STOP/STANDBY at 2/1uA , respectively.

Reply to
steve

That seems very odd. On all other processors I've used, the lower the power consumption for a mode, the longer the wakeup time. In this case it seems to be the opposite.

You'd have to be nuts to use STOP mode, since it's both 7X higher power and takes 10X longer to wake up.

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow! ... this must be what
                                  at               it's like to be a COLLEGE

It's easy to remember: STM32 is ST's M32 uC.

With regulator off in standby mode, you might not be able to preserve I/O states. Just my guess for now, I have to study it further.

Reply to
linnix

=A0 =A0 Yow! ... this must be what

=A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 it's like to be a COLLEGE

=A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0GRADUATE!!

you are right, he has the times reversed, stop keeps RAM active

Reply to
steve