Broken quadrature encoder circuit on TI F281x DSPs?

The quote looks right here, too, though my original post had one more space on each of the upper lines (and the numbers line). I'm not sure where that space went. Or where it came from, assuming the OP was correct.

Regards,

-=Dave

--
Change is inevitable, progress is not.
Reply to

Jim,

Seldom, certainly. In this case, there was a purpose. I doubted that those diagrams represented what the OP wanted to show, so I thought it would be well for him to see them as they appeared in my reader.

I missed the diatribe. What I saw was a rather lengthy tale of woe.

Jerry

Jerry Avins

On Thu, 25 Aug 2005 07:51:59 -0700, Chris Carlen wroth:

I only calls 'em like I sees 'em.

Jim

Reply to
jmeyer

On Thu, 25 Aug 2005 10:17:05 -0700, Chris Carlen wroth:

The only way to resolve this problem is to post screen captures of what

*we* see when we look at your message. I've started the ball rolling by posting "Diatribe.jpg" to ABSE.

O wad some power the giftie gie us To see oursel's as ithers see us! It wad frae monie a blunder free us. And foolish notion; What airs in dress and gait wad lea'e us, And ev'n devotion! (R. Burns)

Jim

Reply to
jmeyer

On Thu, 25 Aug 2005 18:28:31 GMT, "Jona Vark" wroth:

It si?

Jim

Reply to
jmeyer

Instead of a state machine, you can use a flip-flop and 2 XORs. If the tracks can interrupt when going positive and negative, that can all be software, with the "flip-flop" being the LSB of the counter.

I don't know the QEP effects.

Have you considered what happens when vibration moves the counting track back and forth across a transition without actually causing any net rotation?

I think you can resolve the ambiguity by looking at transitions of all tracks at both ends if the Z pulse.

Jerry

Jerry Avins

The only pulses are generated by the encoder. I don't know what you mean.

Jerry

Jerry Avins

It could have been worse. A dash is a dash, so there was only a little displacement between successive lines. But consider his labeling:

N-1 N 0 1 2 3 4 5 ... ______ ______ ______ ______ B: ______ ______ ______ ______

I suppose he meant something like

N-1 N 0 1 2 3 4 5 ... ______ ______ ______ ______ B: ______ ______ ______ ______

Jerry

Jerry Avins

Below is the diagram from your original post. I put it into a hex editor. All "s" chars below are where there was a 20H (space char) and the 0A char is your newline. I've also added a blank line between waveform pairs of lines.

ssssssssss______ssssss______ssssss______ssssss______0A B:s______ssssss______ssssss______ssssss______0A

ssss___ssssss______ssssss______ssssss______ssssss___0A A:ssss______ssssss______ssssss______ssssss______0A

ssssssssssssssssssssss______0A Z:s__________________ssssss________________________0A

You will see that on all lines where the first character is a space, then an extra space has been added. I think this was done by your newsreader when you generated the post. AFAIK this is a characteristic of some newsreaders.

Conversely when reading your post, some newsreaders will drop the extra space (when it is the first char on a line), whereas others will not.

For example, in Turnpike (same newsreader as JW) your post lined up perfectly, whereas in this newsreader (Pluto) the one-space-offset is kept and displayed.

I suspect this is why Fred Bloggs and Win Hill post ascii diagrams with dummy chars as the leading chars on each line.

As a matter of interest, all my typed text here has a leading space on each line. Do you see that space or not?

--
Tony Williams.
Reply to

Yes, I see leading spaces on your text, not on your timing diagrams with spaces mapped to "s".

I also see that the waveforms are not appearing to you as I see them. Interesting. It seems that spaces are not a reliable means of spacing ASCII diagrams in news posts.

Unless as you mention about Win's posts, one puts a leading non-space char on each line?

Thanks for the input. I was begining to think folks were going overboard in hashing the issue. But now I have learned something.

Good day!

Christopher R. Carlen
Principal Laser/Optical Technologist
Sandia National Laboratories CA USA
crcarleRemoveThis@BOGUSsandia.gov
NOTE, delete texts: "RemoveThis" and "BOGUS" from email address to reply.
Reply to
Chris Carlen

(snip)

It came out fine on Netscape 7.1.