So, I'm sitting here making very poor progress on some customer hardware.
It's using an ATmega128, because it's an upgrade to an existing product. I'm having NO END of trouble trying to get this damned thing working. I think that I need some suggestions from someone who's been down this road before.
So, in no particular order, because I'm lost, here:
- Toolset is Atmel Studio 7, using an AVR Dragon board
- I couldn't get JTAG debugging to work. I don't know what magic finger-ring combination I missed out on, but I ended up just using the SPI programming interface (PE0, PE1, and PB1).
- I'm currently stalled on just getting USART1 to emit CHARACTERS, by god.
- There's something in the data sheet about an ATmega103 compatibility fuse -- what's the state of this fuse coming out of the box?
- I'm trying to run things in the simulator, and writes to the USART1 control registers don't seem to be having any effect -- is this reflecting something real in the chip, or is it a simulator bug?
I could whine on, but if any of the above strikes any sparks, please comment -- particularly if you've had problems that have been solved.