AT90USB128 to 802.11 wifi adapter

Anyone have any comments on the feasability of connecting a Atmel AT90USB128 (which has usb host mode interface) to a 802.11g USB adapter based on something like the Zydas ZD1211?

Seems like it could be a cheap and flexible solution-- but quite a bit of work, and would require a USB analyzer. The ZD1211 is supported by linux, so that would be a good reference, and Atmel provides a simple host mode example for the AT90USB (for connecting to a keyboard or mouse).

Too bad USB analyzers are still so expensive. I even did a little searching to see if I could find one for rent, but couldn't find any references.

thanks.

Reply to
jakeb221

schrieb

This depends on your application. For the typical networking stuf´f you will need a TCP/IP stack too. I doubt that the performance of the ATMEGA is sufficient to support both, the byte-by-byte handling of the USB WLAN adapter and the TCP/IP communication. However I could imagine applications which use the 802.11 WLAN connection on a packet level i.e. without TCP/IP and in this case this sounds like an interesting idea.

/Roland

Reply to
Roland Zitzke

"Roland Zitzke" skrev i meddelandet news:457521d2$1 snipped-for-privacy@news.ecore.net...

The nice thing about TCP/IP is that if you lose a packet, the protocol will ensure it will be resent. Talked to a customer the other day, and they need to send 16 bits of data every three seconds over TCP/IP/WLAN , and I do not see why this would be a problem for the AT90USB1287.

--
Best Regards,
Ulf Samuelsson

... snip ...

Sounds like overkill to me. Just include a timestamp with the data and use IP. The receiver can then detect missed packets and possibly interpolate.

CBFalconer

"Ulf Samuelsson" schrieb

In this specialized case it would most likely work. The only question is wheter there's a way to get by with the internal memory of this controller. There are TCP/IP stacks around for the AVR like the Ethernut but they do require external RAM. Very often the rational behind using TCP/IP and not some other low level protocol is that the embedded hardware needs to talk to a UNIX or Windows host and these machines handle IP stuff easily. In such case it might even be possible to get by with a UDP communication and manually implement a resend feature. This requires of course that there is no risk of loosing the packet ordering. /Roland

Reply to
Roland Zitzke

This chip has 8 kB SRAM which helps a little. As long as you only use 1-2 transmit buffers you can live with very low amount of memory. This will have terrible performance when accessing over WAN, but on a LAN it is OK, for these týpes of applications.

--
Best Regards,
Ulf Samuelsson