Xilinx' encrypted HPICE models in PSPICE

Melanie,

In order to protect the sub-circuit models for our foundries (proprietary to the fabricators of our devices), we are not allowed to distribute the spice files in unencrypted form. We also do not want to tell the world how we designed all of our circuits (protect our own intellectual property).

This practice is typical of the entire semiconductor industry.

Instead, I suggest you use the IBIS models which are also available for use.

Aust> Hi community,

Reply to
Austin Lesea

Welcome to the wonderful world of HSpice dominating the simulator world... because management equates high price with high performance ;-)

While PSpice CAN read some encrypted models, I _believe_ it can't read HSpice versions.

Charlie Edmondson ??

Melanie, I suspect that you're a student, so you have no leverage. If you're at a company simply have your purchasing department declare Xilinx as "Do not purchase".

I did that once to Motorola... gets their attention real quick ;-)

...Jim Thompson

Hi Melanie, Sorry, but you are out of luck. Due to some interesting 'legal' constraints, PSpice can't read the HSpice encrypted models, and very few manufacturers have yet gone to using the PSpice encrypted models, either.

Also, you will probably be unable to use the IBIS models either, as the translators makes too large of files for the student version.

What you end up doing is making some reasonable guesses from the datasheets as to the drive and loads, and creating your own models, either as an LRC with a current/voltage driver, or as a behavioral. Best, of course, would be a digital I/O model, but that requires some speciallized knowledge and skills that only a very few have taken the time to master. I know, because I am NOT one of them!

Charlie

Charlie

Reply to
Charlie Edmondson

Hi community,

I got a problem you might be able to assist me in solving. I downloaded several HSPICE models for the Xilinx Virtex-II Pro FPGAs from the Xilinx homepage. They are stored in a format I don't know: *.inc. The included readme-file says that all models are encrypted and must be used in Synopsys HSPICE. All I got is a free PSPICE version running that supports file formats like *.opj, *.dsn, *.sch, *.olb, *.lib, *.vhd, *.txt. I already generated several schematics with PSPICE which I want to test in combination with the Xilinx models. Unfortunately it looks like that is not possible at all. Has anyone of you made similar experiences or has a hint how to solve that incompatibility problem? Any help is highly appreciated.

Regards, Melanie Nasic

Reply to
Melanie Nasic