What are those metal donuts that wires wrap through / around for?

I have no idea what these things are called so I don't know what terms to search on to research them.

Anyway, it looks like a metal donut that a paired set of wires wrap around and through multiple times.

Questions:

  1. What is it called?
  2. What purpose does it serve?

Thanks

-Marcus

Reply to
munglet

============================

1) ferrite bead 2) Its an inductor. Blocks hi frequencies, passes lo frequencies
Reply to
BobG

Also could be a transformer.

Depending on how they are wired.

Reply to
ME

"BobG" wrote

Or a transformer.

Reply to
dB

It can also be called a _core_ for a toroid inductor, or a core for a transformer, if more than one winding is used.

An information page for beginners about beads, toroid cores, transformer cores, scroll down to see pictures:

This is one of the most known makers of toroid cores

Roger J.
Reply to
Roger Johansson

Reply to