Voltage Monitor

Hi, I am looking to construct, what I think would quite a simple circuit= =

to monitor battery voltage on my motorcycle, showing a normal, overvolta= ge =

and undervoltage condition.

Does anyone have any ideas or sample designs that may do something like = =

this? Was thinking of driving a tr-coloured LED.

Thanks in advance.

Reply to
Black Shuck

I\'ve posted a schematic for you on abse under the same subject
heading as this thread.  If you need different voltage thresholds or
you want to use a common-cathode display post back and I\'ll modify
the drawing for you.
Reply to
John Fields

--
Hold off on ordering parts or anything...

There are a few careless mistakes on the drawing which I\'ll fix
tomorrow.

In the meantime, if you want different voltage thresholds or a
common anode display, let me know.  If you don\'t have a specific
display in mind and all you want is tri-color, post what you want
the colors to mean (so I can get it wired right) and I\'ll pick one
for you.
Reply to
John Fields

Hi, Black. I'm going to make a guess that your "tri-colored LED" is one of those two-lead LEDs that are actually back-to-back LEDs, one red and one green. If you bias the LED one way, the red one lights; bias it the other way, and the green one light. If you can arrange to reverse the bias over a hundred times a second, it seems like both the LEDs are lit, and the light output from the diffused lens seems to be kind of an orangish yellow.

If that's the case, let's first look at making it light up yellow. In order to do that, you could use something like this circuit, based on the 74HC14 (a hex CMOS inverter with Schmitt trigger input) (view in fixed font or M$ Notepad):

Reply to
Chris