Voltage buffer

In a circuit I have DC signal somewhere around 10V-14V. This I would like to use as input for a load of 13kO. However, the output circuit should only be minimally loaded. Now if this signal was

Reply to
grubertm

Most NPN transistors in my drawers will happily work at that voltage. I probably don't have anything with VCEO less than 20 or 30V.

Reply to
Andrew Holme

The power to drive the output circuit has to come from somewhere else

-- I'm assuming you've got a DC power supply which is greater than the highest amplitude of your input signal.

If you do, why not just use an opamp as a voltage follower, like this (view in fixed font or M$ Notepad):

| | +24V | |\\| | >-------|+\\ | Vin | >---o----->

| 10-14V.---|-/ | Vout | | |/| | | | | | | | === | | | GND | | '----------' (created by AACircuit v1.28.6 beta 04/19/05

An LM741 will work just fine here. Or if your load requires more than

20mA, you can put your transistor in the feedback loop as a current booster, like this:

| | +24V +24V | |\\| | | >-------|+\\ |/ | Vin | >------| | 10-14V.---|-/ |>

| | |/| | | | | | | | === | | | GND | Vout | '---------------o-------o (created by AACircuit v1.28.6 beta 04/19/05

Either way, your output voltage will track the input within a few millivolts, and your signal source will be unloaded. Much better solution than a single transistor.

Good luck Chris

Reply to
Chris

Even the common-as-beans PN2222A has a Vceo max of 40 volts, according to the first datasheet I found. Power dissipation should be under

100 mW, well under the 625 mW that the 2222 claims to be happy with. So yeah, I think a random junk-drawer transistor has a good chance of working in this circuit (since all the transistors in my junk drawer seem to be 2222s or BC547s).
--
   Wim Lewis , Seattle, WA, USA. PGP keyID 27F772C1
Reply to

I'm assuming there is a reason you cant use a voltage divider if the transistor is not rated high enough?? B

Reply to
Brian O

Okay, this was a basic misunderstanding on my part. I assumed that the maximum Vbe rating is what I am allowed to apply to the transistor base. For the above scenario a regular 2N2222 turned out to work just fine.

Reply to
grubertm