Uses for diodes

I did mention "oscillator". The question was for "purposes", not types.

TDs were great. You can still buy them, but they're not affordable.

Back diodes use tunneling and are manufactured as RF detectors. I think they are the only planar, lithographically fabbed germanium devices ever made.

Here's a Tek TD calibrator:

Still works!

lunatic fringe electronics

Random Noise Generator

Reply to
Kevin Glover

I didn't say that you had. :)

At a might higher tolerance than usually used in a circuit, without using a precision IC reference. It looks like I need an obsolete one to repair one of my triple output HP6236B power supplies. All outputs are out of spec, and one goes into shutdown at a fraction of a volt. I bought a couple defective ones, to repair. The other arrived without the meter bezels, and the power switch turns itself off. Not a breaker, just a miniature bat handle DPDT toggle switch that is also obsolete. Maybe I should just part out the working 6237B for the parts for these two? :)

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Usenet posts can also be used for a source of random noise. :)

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell