transistor 2n3055

they

washer

See a.b.s.e.

had to

uses

TO-247 for the big stuff, preferably without the hole, clamp mounted. They have a huge thermal footprint.

same

When was that published? We've tested plastic fets to about 350C and the epoxy held up fine. They work OK at 250 or so, then Vgs threshold drops seriously. Around 310-ish, the fets turn on hard at zero gate bias, but recover when cooled down. Around 340, they don't recover.

I think that one advantage of plastic is that its thermal conduction helps to cool off the source wirebonds.

Even on the exploded fets, the epoxy looked fine.

John

the same

It's in the current datasheets. MOT always rated Tj @ 200C in metal can and 150C in plastic AFAIK and their power ratings with the notional Tc=25C reflect that.

I've always been curious about the point. I recall that there were once concerns about impurities in the epoxies at higher temps. Maybe they're much better now ?

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

the same

150C in

We usually design for around 130C peak Tj, so it's not really an issue. The TO-247 is thermally about the best you can do, short of something really exotic. There's a lot to be said for a larger number of smaller fets, given the choice, to avoid hot spots on the heatsink.

John

On the other hand, it's nice to chat on Usenet about stuff also. ::)))

4 eyes 3 grins

The answers posted so far regarding manufacturing methods are on target.

Reply to
Rev. 11D Meow!

They make plastic wafers the shape of a TO-3 to insulate them, and little teflon washers that ensure the other leads are isoalted where the pass through a metal heatsink. I replaced all the 2N3055s in a power supply (one had internally shorted collector to the base) and they are built into an assembly of aluminum extrusion with insulators and a lot of thermal goo.

In fact, I should find some of those insulators for the 2N3055s I have left over from that project.

--
Ben Jackson AD7GD

http://www.ben.com/
Reply to
Ben Jackson

Maplin used to do a 225w amplifier with 2*2n3055 and 2* mj2955 in the output stages. They are good beefy transistors for amps. For the amp they had to be on a beefy heatsink to get rid of heat. The transistors needed to be isolated from the heatsink as the collectors are connected to the transistor case. They dont have a lot of gain so tend to need a good driver transistor to the base. I think the 2n3055 has a gain of 40 if my memory serves me right.

Reply to
Marra

"Marra" <

** At what load impedance ??

Certainly not 4 ohms, as that would way exceed the SOA of 2N3055s.

...... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

That would be pushing them way too far.

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

Can't be 8 ohms either as that would exceed Vce.

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

"Eeysore"

** So - I was alluding to maybe a 2 or 3 ohm load.

Whatever, the 225 watt figure is way over the top.

...... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

Yes, even 4 ohms would require a higher Vce.

I do have an ancient HH amp that uses 2N3055s IIRC to provide 80W into 8 ohms but that uses transformer drive so the bases are reverse driven when each device is non-conducting. It would be sailing very close to the wind otherwise.

For sure.

I recall an Orange 1kW amp, the 'killerwatt' IIRC, from the late 60s ? that had a 1 ohm load rating or therabouts.

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

Nah, these are "marketing" watts. ;-)

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

Like the 'peak-to-peak' watts ?

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

Kinda - in Ham radio, you're limited to 1KW DC to the output stage, but when using SSB, they get away with 2 KW "PEP" - "Peak Envelope Power."

So, yeah, pretty much. :-)

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise