TI CCS problem: Simulator setup

Hi all,

When I setup CCS, I found there are two Simulator: Functional Simulator and CPU Cycle Accurate Simulator. What's their main difference?

If I want to know the cycle a program will cost, which Simulator shall I choose?

Any suggestions will be appreciated! Best regards, Davy

Reply to
Davy

Hi Bhooshan,

Thank you!

I have read your reply in dsprelated, but it did't appear in Google group, so I posted your reply here!

Best regards, Davy

Davy--

The later versions of CCS(3.1 and above) do include a good introduction of the different types of simulators, their relative advantages and when one must chose a particular simulator. But in general a CPU cycle accurate simulator would be faster than say a, device functional simulator because it may not model the various peripherals(EDMA,QDMA, McBSP,EMIF etc.) and cache systems. In other words it might assume a flat memory model and will not support Digital Loop Back.

That depends on whether you want to model memory hierarchy, caching, DMA etc. If you do not want to model any of this(because your end system uses infinite memory) then you may go for the CPU cycle accurate simulator. Also if you want the fastest simulation time one would go for CPU cycle accurate simulator.

--Bhooshan

This message was sent using the Comp.DSP web interface on

Davy