Three 12 volt transofrmers in series instead of one 38V?

"Suraj Joneja" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@individual.net...

Hello.

Sure, if you have the 3 parts already. Just be sure the sense of the windings it right, otherwise you may get only 12V.

The load typically requires power in a certain voltage range and current range. Where it comes from is immaterial.

There will be some loss of efficiency in the broad sense of the word, referring to efficient use of materials and other resources. But there is no reason that, with sufficiently efficient transformers, the net electrical efficiency cannot be the same as for the individual transformers.

An SMPS could be a good solution. I doubt laptop chargers will do 190W. As for specific sources or parts, some web research (on your part) should turn up something.

--
--Larry Brasfield
email: donotspam_larry_brasfield@hotmail.com

It is okay, no problems. It will work as one transformer.

It is not recommended, for weight and cost reasons, but electrically it is no problem.

Yes, as well suited as one transformer is.

I don't think so. The losses, which convert to heat, will be approximately the same. It will be easier to keep the tranformer(s) cool though, when you use 3 instead of one, that is an advantage.

--
Roger J.
Reply to

Hi All, I have an audio power amp kit which requires me to connect an AC-AC 38 volt

5 Amp Transformer. I am having trouble finding this (38 V) transformer. My question is if it is OK to connect the outputs of Three 12V 5 Amp Transformer in Series? further: 1) Is it recommeded? 2) Is it suitable for Audio power amp application? (My amp is MOSFET based) 3) Will there be substantial (if any) loss in efficiency in this 3 configuration over a single 38 V one? 4) Can somebody suggest alternate (AC or DC) sources of comparable Amperage which I might use (such as SMPS or Laptop chargers etc.)

Many Thanks! Suraj

Reply to
Suraj Joneja