Thanks.

Reply to
bob

On 15 Jul 2006 18:52:13 -0700, in message , snipped-for-privacy@coolgroups.com scribed:

Hope you didn't miss this bit:

"The only thing your little intercom cannot do is ring the phone to tell the person at the other end to pick up. The "ring" signal is a 90-volt AC wave at 20 hertz (Hz)."

Because you obviously missed this bit:

"...a 9-volt battery (or some other simple power supply) and a 300-ohm resistor that you can get for a dollar at Radio Shack."

--

If life seems jolly rotten, there\'s something you\'ve forgotten,
and that\'s to laugh and smile and dance and sing!

Yup. And if Radio Shack doesn't have a 300 ohm 1/2 watt resistor, then

270 ohms or 330 ohms will do just fine.

Have fun Chris

Reply to
Chris

I've done it.

use a 9v battery. if you get tired of paying for new batteries get a plugpack.

Bye. Jasen

Reply to
jasen

it will.

ummm, try a 9 volt battery

In the pic, the 300 ohm resistor is a non-standard value - if you are using UK spec phones, go for a 470 ohm - this will extend the battery life too. Also if you are in the uk, and using modern phones with electronic ringers, you can make the bell "ring" by rigging a switch at each end to connect pin 2 & 3 of the standard line jack together. Press the button to attract the other ends attention then lift the reciever and wait for them - i.e. it won't work if you have already lifted the handset.

Reply to
feebo

Yes

The article told you to use a battery. Do you mean how to get the 9V

*without* a battery? You could use a wallwart.

You do not need the resistor. Modern telephones have a DC resistance of about 430 Ohms, so the two phones in series will limit the current to about

10.4 mA., which is a good value.

Don

Reply to
Don Bowey

Don Bowey wrote in news:C0DFABD9.3A9F0% snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net:

Obviously the 9V battery is too hard. The OP needs a simple solution like using 6 AA batteries, or 7.5 NiMH batteries. (Or 8 and a standard diode.)

*removes tounge from cheek*

Puckdropper

Puckdropper

I wired it, and it works.

Out of curiosity, does it matter if the power is on the red wire or green wire? The wires appear equal.

Puckdr> Don Bowey wrote in

Reply to
bob

On 17 Jul 2006 20:02:23 -0700, in message , snipped-for-privacy@coolgroups.com scribed:

Terminology lesson: red is tip, green is ring. That means, on a bantam plug, red is the center conductor (the tip) and green is the outer ring of the plug. Your simple intercom is a current loop, so under normal circumstances the polarity of the voltage and the direction of current aren't important. Here's a crude drawing of how it works, ignoring the hook switch and ringer circuits:

Just out of curiosity, how are you going to let the person on the other end know he or she is being summoned to the intercom?

--
Love is like a dying ember
And only memories remain

Alan B wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Shouting "Hey! Pick up the phone!" would work. It at least saves you from having a shouting conversation.

This is an electronics group, though, we can do better. Isn't the ringer activated by sending a higher voltage on the line?

Puckdropper

Puckdropper

yeah, it should be AC too... 25 to 20 Hz

Bye. Jasen

Reply to
jasen

Reply to
mike7411

ringer

It's not critical, a 555 will do but you will have to boost the output to the appropriate voltage.

Bill has a ring generator here:

Lord Garth

On 19 Jul 2006 09:57:48 -0700, in message , snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com scribed:

Well, it would be an interesting project to produce 90VAC 20Hz from 120VAC

60 Hz. Food for thought.
Reply to
Alan B

Ma bell has done it for decades. The old 1A2 type phone system power supplies did it with no problems. Junk 1A2 systems can still be found cheap, or for free. They also supply the filtered DC for the talk circuit, and power for all of the lamps on the phones.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

some other sort of oscilator, like a 555, you'll probably need to boost the voltage a bit though,

--

Bye.
   Jasen