store refrigerator unplugged

Shall I store my eight year old Samsung waist high refrigerator:

*unplugged? *unplugged, except for 5 minutes every 3 months, for exercise? *plugged, but that isn't "storing" it, so forget it.

I have discovered I can survive without a refrigerator, but want to keep it around just in case (somebody gives me 100 watermelon burgers.)

Acmehowto.com says "Don't store your refrigerator unplugged. Some units require continuous use to ensure proper lubrication of the compressor."

And some people say to plug it in every 3 months for 5 minutes for lubrication.

And some people say don't plug it in at all during storage.

I found indeed that some refrigerators won't even start after a 3 month rest. Others work fine...

Reply to
jidanni

The compressor seals can dry out and shrink and even crack during long periods of non-use.

Reply to
Charles

is that why when you run into HHGreg them guys want to sell you a fridge real quick?

#1 Offishul Ruiner of Usenet, March 2007
#1 Usenet Asshole, March 2007
#1 Bartlo Pset, March 13-24 2007
#10 Most hated Usenetizen of all time
#8 AUK Hate Machine Cog
COOSN-266-06-25794
Reply to
Meat Plow

Domestic refrigerators have sealed compressors which don't have seals that deteriorate with disuse. some larger commercial units do (those with the motor outside of the compressor vessel) as does also automotive A/C.

try dropping or banging them if they don't start

Bye. Jasen

Reply to
Jasen

You could get a cheapo timer to turn it on for 5 minutes per day.

-- John

Reply to
John O'Flaherty

A very long time ago it made sense to run it for awhile periodically.

Today home refers, and AC's and drinking fountains, ice cream machines, wine coolers, dehumidifiers, etc. use sealed systems. Everything that moves along with the refrigerant and lubricant is inside a metal can - the only real seal is where the wires come through the case and they don't move. Don't sweat it. Before you power it up again make sure it has been standing upright for a day and the ambient temperature is not below freezing.

Leave the door open or wipe out all the moisture - sometimes a roach trap is called for too.

Newsgroups
default

default wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

*snip*

You'll probably want to put something* on the door so it can't close completely, just in case something (or someone) gets in it. I don't know about modern refrigerators, but I've heard of kids getting trapped in older ones.

*Perhaps a dab of caulk on the frame, so the seal won't seal, but you can peel the caulk off when you're ready to reactivate the fridge?

Puckdropper

Puckdropper

What about domestic air conditioners?

--

Reply in group, but if emailing add another
zero, and remove the last word.

All the ones I've seen have sealed compressor-motor units, with a separate non-sealed motor for the fan.

The guy who calls himself Homer Simson is in the AC business he's probably more familiar with that hardware.

Bye. Jasen

Reply to
Jasen