something to diffuse led light?

Anyone have a good idea for something around the house I could use? I converted an automotive-like lamp to use 4 leds. It looks like 4 leds in there instead of one light. Would be cool if I could diffuse it somewhat.

Frosted glass maybe? bubble wrap? I'm experimenting..

--
?
Reply to

Waxed paper? Sand the inside of the lens?

--
www.wescottdesign.com
Reply to

Waxed paper works very good on a small scale. I've used it to diffuse light entering into a fiber optic cable with excellent results, in a pinch.

Grinding the LED surfaces with rough sandpaper comes to mind, too, though I've not attempted that and it can't be as good as waxed paper. But then, if the wax melts....

Pot the LEDs into some plastic resin mixed with alumina powder?

For a quick test, I'd be back to wax paper or else parchment paper though.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Kirwan

Yep, try a couple of layers of Baking paper at a distance

Mark

Reply to
Mark Kelepouris

Maybe etch the LED surfaces or the inside surface of the lamp with something like an "Air Eraser"

It's not likely to qualify as "around the house" but if you do already have an air compressor, a mini-sandblaster can be a useful addition to the tool kit.

Better picture

--
Rich Webb     Norfolk, VA
Reply to

Around my house I'd grab some Mylar drafting film. Your house may vary. Piece of plastic milk jug might work OK. Anything will cut down the total light output somewhat.

Ecnerwal

Scotch tape (the semi transparent kind) is the 'classic' quick and easy diffusor. As long as it's not too much power.

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

Is this allowed in your car?

--
pim.
Reply to

Probably not, and certainly not if he was in Australia.

Reply to
John G

Don't worry it's not going on the car. Its just a sign. :)

--
?
Reply to

A ping pong ball, or half of it. Sanded PMMA (Perspex) should also do the work.

Reply to
asdf