sizing a freewheeling diode for a coil

That's possible, I've had that happen before where the leads pulled out enough to loss connection. it was a batch of diodes with bad bonding on the leads

Real Programmers Do things like this.
http://webpages.charter.net/jamie_5
Reply to
Jamie

Jamie wrote in news:Mxk8i.295$ snipped-for-privacy@newsfe06.lga:

You're mother is a retard.

Reply to
JackShephard

1N4148s have a maximum reverse recovery time of 4ns. 1N400x diodes are around 1,000 times longer.

Do tell.. how would that work?

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

I think you mean this one:

Matt

-- Paul Hovnanian mailto: snipped-for-privacy@Hovnanian.com

------------------------------------------------------------------ In theory, practice and theory are the same, but in practice they are different -- Larry McVoy

Reply to
Paul Hovnanian P.E.

I've seen 1n4148s fail across small relays, the 'off hook' relay in a modem. The cause? Surges in the switched circuit. Big ones. The loop area of the relays' contacts and connections--as laid out on the PCB--was sufficient to couple said surges into their coils & pop

1n4148s. A transformer, it was.

This modem was in my PC. After losing several diodes in succession, I fixed the problem by 'improving' the layout to reduce the loop area & proximity to the coil.

Designing industrial stuff, we picked relays wired such that the one- turn switched loop wouldn't couple back to the coil, and laid out traces carefully on both sides exactly to avoid this problem. Otherwise, lightning-induced surges can make quite a mess of things as they propagate backward from the relays and onto your board.

Cheers, James Arthur

Reply to
James Arthur

That's further off track than I'd expect from you Paul. What has this to do with suppression diodes?

Robert

Robert Adsett

last I checked 1N4148 was rated for 200 mA continuous.

Bye. Jasen

Reply to
Jasen

you get contact bounce on the relay.

Reply to
Marra

Was that suppose to be a joke?

Real Programmers Do things like this.
http://webpages.charter.net/jamie_5
Reply to
Jamie

Not really, I really have no idea what s/he is talking about in terms of potentially harmful heating. Do you?

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

And?

Robert

Robert Adsett

The person you need to blame this on is "Lamey The Cable Guy" or whatever f****ng stupid nym he is going by now.

The posts is a forgery/clone or whatever you want to call it. I did not write it. That goes for the next one you read as well. I was never in this thread.

Reply to
JackShephard

Backspacing the URL to "appnotes/" presents a selection of pdf's.

Reply to
ian field

--
Really?

How about some facts?

Like which relays are you talking about?

Do you have some part numbers and some circuits or is this just some
more of your pretense at knowledge bullshit?
Reply to
John Fields

Thanks for all the helpful replies.

It seems that the overall reliability of the device is best served not by a single diode, but by a transient voltage suppressor. The diode is a little better at protecting the transistor that switches the coil, but apparently it can cause a not-so-clean unmaking of the relay, leading to welding or erosion of the contacts in the case of a heavily-loaded normally-open relay. This is described in

Matt

If the contacts operating the relay become dirty or the control transistor begins to oscillate, then you will get repetitive surges at quite frequent intervals. It is better not to rely upon the single-pulse surge current rating of the diode.

A diode with a continuous rating equal to (or greater than) the maximum coil current will give peace of mind under all possible conditions of operation and mis-operation.

--
~ Adrian Tuddenham ~
www.poppyrecords.co.uk

I did not mention the single pulse surge current rating, but the repetitive surge surge current rating. But as with any limiting case, it is a good idea to include some safety factor. By the way, if the coil is driven by rapid pulses, its current will not reach the full, DC, steady state value, but will bounce between some lower limits.

Agreed. Especially if the diode is in a good thermal situation.

Reply to
John Popelish