Self chargeing capacitors?

I recently finished building my Zagi 400, a remote controlled airplane. I used a "12" volt 300 ma charger to charge the battery. I took my volt meter to make sure of the polarity before hooking up an expensive battery. I know by taking a charger apart that there is a capacitor inside. When i unpluged the transformer, the capacitor would slowly discherge. I would short the two leads, the voltage would drop to zero, but as soon as i unshorted them the voltage would slowly climb into the tenths of volts range, if i had been more patient it might Have reached a whole volt. Whats going on here?

Reply to
ngdbud

It's a phenomenon known as dielectric absorption. Go have a look at:

and

The Phantom

I am amazed that you actually directed someone to that spammer's site.

Reply to
JeffM

That's the 1st time I've seen a link to that domain that was useful.

The site owner has been trolling these groups trying to stir up traffic for his site but not being helpful in any way. All he gives are vague links. Once at his site, you have to give him at least 2 more page hits to actually get to anything useful.

He's just a self-serving jerk.

Reply to
JeffM

Maybe he didn't know (I didn't). I do know that they once provided a lot of stuff for free that now requires payment. The page in question is at least informative, or so it appears.

Tom

Reply to
Tom MacIntyre