RCD tester

Can someone just confirm my sums?? I want to put a resistor inside a plug to test the 30mA RCD. I reckon I need a 8k 10w resistor. R =

240/0.03 = 8000 ohms. W = 0.03 x 240 = 7.2W. 8.2Kohms or 6.8kohms - so I guess the 6.8k as the voltage is likley to be lower than 240v. Finding 6.8k may be another issue??
Reply to
CS

"CS"

** RCDs already have a *test button* that does exactly that - usually with a 6.8 k 2W resistor connected from Active on the input side to Neutral on the output.

..... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

=A0 usually

al

Thanks - I am after a tester independent of the RCD.

Reply to
CS

"CS" "Phil Allison"

Thanks - I am after a tester independent of the RCD.

** The test button function is INDEPENDENT of the rest of the RCD.

You proposed device will achieve nothing beyond showing the ground conductor can pass 30mA.

Unless you want to use it for mischief.......

..... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

The RCD should trip??

Reply to
CS

"CS"

** So causing mischief IS your game.

Piss off.

...... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

It's more beneficial to ensure your wiring to the power point is correct. And as Phil said, the RCD has an independent test function. But hey, you can get both functions for 20 bucks:

Dave.

Reply to
David L. Jones

Not sure why Allison is such a friendly chap. I have a socket tester that confirms that the wiring is correct and all my wiring is correct. I just wanted a simple tester independent of the RCD - how do you check the RCD independently of its own box??? There are fakes out there!!

It has nothing to do with mischief making and I am not sure why Allison should raise it. I am reassured that there are villages around that still have their village idiot.

Reply to
CS