Question about what parts to use for circuit diagram

Hello all! I'm new here and I hope to learn some stuff and also help others here in the future.

I am trying to imitate a circuit that is introduced in a paper from IEEE Journal of Solid-State circuits. I need some help at to which parts I need to use to get similiar results as they have done in the paper. I have tried fooling around with various parts, but couldn't get things to work. Here is a picture of the circuit:

The circuit that I'm working on is a modified charge pump. For the diodes, I'm not sure which MOSFETs to use because it doesn't mention it in the paper (NMOS or PMOS?). Also, for the automatic driving buffer, I'm pretty sure those are NOT gates, but I'm not sure which part to use because the last three of them have 2 outputs on the NOT gates. Also, I'm not sure which comparator to use. I'm assuming I can use a vdc for the voltage ref. Also, what can I use for the VCO and bias block. If you guys need the entire paper uploaded, I can do that also. Once I get the parts right, I'm sure I can wire this up fine...or not...haha Anyways, any help on this is greatly appreciated.

Reply to
Andrew410

What you have there is a block diagram, not a circuit diagram, although it's fairly close to a circuit diagram. Basically, if you want to make it work, you have to do some engineering.

This is a notorious problem with circuits published in journals. If the author is in industry, what's happening is that they want to brag about their invention without actually enabling their competitors to build it. Worst case, it's a nice idea but didn't actually work reliably in the lab!

Reply to
mc

Thanks for the fast reply back.

I actually don't need to simulate this paper in real life, but just need to do it through Pspice. I had to chose a paper from the IEEE Journal of Solid-State circuits and I happened to chose this. By the time I figured out this circuit was difficult to construct, it was too late for me to change to another paper. So, I am stuck with a difficult circuit, but I believe this is a good opportunity for me to learn more about transistors. I just need to know which parts I can try to get the circuit working decently with decent results. Even if the results aren't that great, I could still just discuss about the results.

The whole paper can be downloaded here:

Andrew410

Hi,

1) The diodes use PMOS because the symbol for PMOS has "an extra circle on the gate" 2) In the ADB, tri-state buffer was used. From left is the input, to the right is the output and from the bottom is the "control input". When the control input is high, the buffer behaves normally (just an inverter). When the control input is low, the buffer output has large impedance (i.e. disconnected from the flying capacitor). That's how they realized the equations in Fig. 6. 3) You probably have to build the comparator as in Fig 5a) 4) You probably have to refer to reference 9 and 10 for VCO and bias block. (e.g. Fig 2 in Reference 9).

Good Luck!

KodKodKod Learning Consulting -

To submit questions:

KodKodKod Learning Consulting

Is there a way I can just get the main charge pump working instead of adding all the other things in there? How would I go about doing that? Also, what if I don't want to implement the automatic pumping frequency control scheme then can I just add a clock there instead like digiclock?

Reply to
Andrew410