Problem about characteristic impedance

On Sunday 26 September 2004 08:09 am, Archer did deign to grace us with the following:

I've always found a time domain reflectometer gets me close enough.

Good Luck! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

how to measure the characteristic impedance of a coax? I'm starting to study the rf circuit design.

Reply to
Archer

Reply to
Roy McCammon

may i measure the impedence using meter? and how would it be done that measure the open far end coax?

Reply to
Archer

I suppose you might do with a vector volt meter. Not sure. Been too long since I used one. I'd use a scope.

you don't measure at the far end. you just short the far end or open the far end.

--
local optimization seldom leads to global optimization

my e-mail address is:   AT mmm DOT com
Reply to
Roy McCammon

Or you also could measure the inductance of the inner conductor and capacitance between the inner conductor and the shield. Z0=sqrt(L/C)

Regards

Reply to
Alexei Zyuzin