Potentiometer question

How do you decide what pot to use from the eagle cadsoft library? I need to use a 2k board mount pot and would like to know the secret to picking the correct pot with the correct size for what I want to do. For example, I looked up the CA9V pot on the internet, but couldn't find what size it was. Do you print out the pots and manually place the pots on the page until you find the right size?

I looked on the Cadsfot Forum for the answer, but evidently everyone else has figured this out,. Thanks

Reply to
billshat44

Presumably in the same way you'd choose one in real life.

How complicated can that be ?

Once upon a time it was expected that kids going through Uni might at least have at least half a clue about the components they might encounter.

This is one reason why companies don't especially rate graduates for practical intelligence any more.

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

Can you wipe your own backside ? It's kinda the same thing.

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

If you buy parts from a decent vendor (such as Digikey or Mouser) there will be links to data sheets, or at least the manufacturer's web site. So you dig out the data sheet, and you compare the part footprint to the part in Eagle.

If you _must_ buy a budget part, you buy it, and with the part in one hand and a pair of calipers in the other you measure it up and decide on a footprint.

Better yet, you decide on the part that works for you, then you build the part footprint in a library so you know it's right.

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

Tim Wescott

Reply to
billshat44

And just make sure you don't reverse the X orY dims or you'll feel a right prick.

Understanding engineering drawings is VERY important for this.

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

Might have been better had you indictated your level of expertise in that case.

Trust me, you get ppl who've been (allegedly) doing this 10 yrs or more asking you to wipe their bottoms and it gets tedious.

If you can read a technical drawing you shouldn't have any trouble. Best of all, get a sample part to confirm the dimensions and pinout.

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

" snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com" wrote:.

So how the heck do you know in which orientation they work ?

Is clockwise rotation positive or negative function for example ?

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

p.s. BIG HINT.

Guys who do this all the time know how to deal with that. Positive application of the brain is a wonderful thing.

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

The very first board I ever laid out during my time as a teacher's assistant for a high school shop class.

I mirrored it.

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

Tim Wescott

Well .... in the early days, that was often the preferred method.

No longer, it's 'top-side view' as the norm.

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

The specific CAD package is almost irrelevant though why in hell anyone would willingly use Eagle is quite beyond me.

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

No, no. I mean that when the boards came out of the tank, everything was mirror of what it should have been (or at least part, it's been a while). So the next lesson for that class was "let's solder an IC on the _top_ of the board".

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

Tim Wescott

Oh don't let it bother you, We have some rather ill mannered posters here that don't think their shit stinks!. Most of them come from the UK district!

"

Reply to
Jamie

LOL!< the crap is rolling out now..

"

Reply to
Jamie

I must disagree. Predominantly, most is in Arizona.

Reply to
Don Bowey

Even punks think twice before looking at me.

Wow! That ugly, huh?

;-) Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise